Needed Materials

I will be painting my Guitar and was wondering is this it: I need Grain Filler, one can, do I need Sand Filler? Re Ranch Paints, 2 cans, then 2 cans of clear coat. What type of clear coat should I get, this it other than sand paper, etc?

You will need:

1 Can of grain filler

1 Can of Sand and Sealer

2 Cans of Paint (One will do it, but buy 2 for errors)

2 Cans of Clear ( I prefer nitrocellulose gloss)

You might want to buy a sand paper kit from Reranch also.

Follow Reranch 101 and let the clear dry for at least 30 days! This allows the solvents to gas off properly.

Very Important: Join the Reranch Forum and ask lots of questions and post progress pictures. We love pictures!

I haven't checked but I think the Reranch site tells you home much of each item to order to d oa guitar. I would definitely go with more than just 2 cans of clear. You are generally going to sand through 2-3 coats. With aerosol cans you spray the coats on thinner so you'll sand through even more. I would say you need to probably buy at least 4 cans of clear.

I will be painting my Guitar and was wondering is this it: I need Grain Filler, one can, do I need Sand Filler? Re Ranch Paints, 2 cans, then 2 cans of clear coat. What type of clear coat should I get, this it other than sand paper, etc?

You will only need grain filler for open pore woods like Mahogany. What is the body wood?

Sanding sealer alone will not work on Swamp Ash, you need some kind of grain sealer. I used epoxy on both my ash builds, very easy to coat and it covers a lot better than the water based grain fillers.

And you can get all your paint supplies locally at a Lowes (DEFT for nitro) or at Stew Mac . I think that the DEFT is useless after long term experience with it, but it is your choice!

Edited by Maiden69

You don't need sanding sealer. All you need is something to fill the grain, sanding sealer just fill very small pores, if you ad too much your paint will be soft. DEFT does not stand to abuse. All my guitars that were painted with it got marked by the fabric on the cases during transportation overseas.