Bolt/nut Thread Size Question.

One of my guitars (1980's ibanez barreta) has a stripped out adjustment nut for the truss rod. I found a small bolt that the current adjustment nuts threads onto perfectly and there seems to be between 8 and 10 threads per 1/4" (since thats the only length of bolt I can get) it's hard to tell. and 3/16" diameter.

All of the replacement adjustment nuts I've found are 10-32 which is 3/16" diameter with 32 threads per inch. The only thing is it's very hard to tell if my rod is indeed 32 threads per inch... So what are the odds that ibanez used a different thread than what seems to be standard?

One of my guitars (1980's ibanez barreta) has a stripped out adjustment nut for the truss rod. I found a small bolt that the current adjustment nuts threads onto perfectly and there seems to be between 8 and 10 threads per 1/4" (since thats the only length of bolt I can get) it's hard to tell. and 3/16" diameter.

All of the replacement adjustment nuts I've found are 10-32 which is 3/16" diameter with 32 threads per inch. The only thing is it's very hard to tell if my rod is indeed 32 threads per inch... So what are the odds that ibanez used a different thread than what seems to be standard?

Is it metric?

A close comperable and common metric would be an M5-1 (which would have a little over 25 threads per inch and be just slightly over 3/16" around the threads).

M5= outside diameter of the threads

1= advances 1mm per. full rotation(25.4 rotations=1")

They do make other thread counts, but I think that is the most common. It would seem possible/likely that an Ibanez could use metric parts.

Rich

M5 = 5mm on the outside of the threads = 0.1969" and not really a 3/16". Yopu might try a digital calliper. Most of them can convert to metric by the push of a button.

M-sized threads come in different versions, but as Rich mentioned the 1mm per revolution is the most common. There is also the 0.75 mm per revolution (fine) and 1.25 mm per revolution (coarse) threading that are pretty common. If you would like I can always send you some M5 nuts to try out. It will take a wile to get them across the pool thou…

If so PM me