Neck/fb Problem

Hey I recently glued my fret board to my neck for a guitar I'm working on but when I unclamped and inspected it, I found that an area had not glued properly and there was a gap, there was also no squeeze out from the glue so I'm assuming there wasnt enough clamp pressure in that area.

I'm wondering whether I can just insert some glue in to the gap (titebond in a syringe) and re clamp that area or do I have to re do the whole thing?

Its a very thin gap, I put a bit of paper in to see how deep it is, and its pretty shallow, approx 5mm before the two peices have glued.

FBGap.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/neil...h/NeckPaper.jpg

Cheers

Edited by Neil Beith

Hey I recently glued my fret board to my neck for a guitar I'm working on but when I unclamped and inspected it, I found that an area had not glued properly and there was a gap, there was also no squeeze out from the glue so I'm assuming there wasnt enough clamp pressure in that area.

I'm wondering whether I can just insert some glue in to the gap (titebond in a syringe) and re clamp that area or do I have to re do the whole thing?

Its a very thin gap, I put a bit of paper in to see how deep it is, and its pretty shallow, approx 5mm before the two peices have glued.

FBGap.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/neil...h/NeckPaper.jpg

Cheers

There are two ways to go.

one heat the neck and remove the fingerboard and start over..................OR......................

Take some ebony dust and water thin superglue

put the dust in the crack and shoot in some superglue. you will never see the fix.

cheers,

Roman

Or....you can mask the edges and use some Loctite black super glue and fill the gap.

I was thinking about adding binding, but I dont think I'de be confident enough (especially with the added fretting difficulties)

Yeh its tapered to unfortunatly cant use that,

and Wez its my first build so I have probably cocked something up but I did plan a lot so it should be fine, I'm using a TOM so I could use a high FB to keep action sensible.

I was thinking about adding binding, but I dont think I'de be confident enough (especially with the added fretting difficulties)

yeah its tapered to unfortunately cant use that,

Since the neck is tapered, and the blank is still square, you could do binding.

Just use a binding bit with a bearing.

Fretting it will not be much harder than without binding. Fret it first then nip off the fret ends, file them flush and do the binding gibson style.

Even though you are not confident you may surprise yourself, and have something to be proud of.

Give it a shot!

Roman

The way you learn from your mistakes is by fixing them. A fill job using eboy dust would be the best idea. You can even use any glue you want but suoer glue is faster. Once you shape finish over the edge it will blend in with the neck, Black super glue will work if the board is black with no light lines, looks that way. I would use epoxy because you have a few minutes before it sets up abd you can add black filler to the mix or dust your choice. Just make sure you flatten the fret board on top.

Everyone has issues like these they just dont admit that they do.