Coffee Table Or Guitar?

Refinishing a coffee table and wonder if it would make a better guitar than a table. Plenty wood for two bodies, but i'm not sure what the wood is. Any suggestions or help w/ ID would be welcome. generalpicsTablePhotos002.jpggeneralpicsTablePhotos001.jpg

BTW the table is solid, stamped Mar. 1976. I attempted to show the grain by wiping on some alcohol but it kept evaporating before I could take the pic.

Looks like maple to me, but I'm no expert.

If you're already refinishing it as a coffee table, I don't think you've stumbled across anything that's just screaming to be a guitar. Coffee tables need love too. :D

It also looks to be at least 6 pieces of maple glued together so you will essentially end up needing to paint them so any figure that it has will be lost. I like to have 1 center line (if any but you’d be hard pressed to get your joint in the center of a body with the width of each board… I’d give back to the table and just refinish it, you never know what could be holding those boards together.

Yeah on closer inspection I noticed a pin in one of the boards. I would hate to buy my friend a new set of planer knives because I was trying to cheap out on wood. just a crazy idea, a coffee table it shal be.

Who says it can't be both?

http://www.lindaanderson.com/images_all/pr...imgs/533473.jpg

(There are more examples out there if you look - but howzabout keeping it a functional coffee table, but strapping some strings and a pickup on one end and making it a lap steel style thing? A little slide guitar with your coffee.)

I'm sure i saw a guitar set into a table in a magazine once. so the front of the cguitar (strat i think) was flush with the table top which was of a contrasting wood!

My jointer took a nasty nail when I was trying to use mahogany that was recovered from an old building. I pulled them all out and thought I had everything. Then "think"...replacing jointer knives suck almost as much as replacing planer knives, not to mention they can cost a ton too.