New Guy's New Project

Howdy folks, Whats shakin?

Allow me to introduce myself. I'm John but everyone calls me "Fue" so, thats what i tend to answer to first. Anyway, this is my first project post. my friend and i guess band-mate wanted his beater guitar repainted. It was a little rough, a white Cort strat copy, and the clear coat had yellowed over, as did the pick guard.

Misc2373.jpg

All scuffed down and hung in the booth (*this would later be my demise)

Misc2378.jpg

The head stock painted, things are going good!

--Then, they took a turn for the worse....

You can't see it in the picture, but the guita rbody was held up by a copper wire run through the neck mounting holes, and around a pipe held form the ceiling by 2 wires on each end. I slipped the wire supporting the guitar over the end of the pipe, like an idiot. And, sure as anything some idiot walking through the paint booth bumped the guitar, the wire slid off the pipe, and cuh-clunk, she nailed the floor.

No, thats not the end, I've got somethings to get done though, will finish the story in a bit!

My bad! Got a little caught up in packing. Anywho, he decided to have the guitar painted in a powder blue, somewhat similar to the Fender color. As you can see from the picture of the head stock above, the color i received was not light enough, so I lightened it slightly before spraying any further coats.

And of course, there's the damage created by the dunder-head who took a short cut through the spray booth. The guitar dropped and lande don the upper horn first, and bounced to the butt. Both areas of damage wher ein an area that the strap would conceal, and being a "beater" my client explained he didn't care. The bulk of the damage was finish chipping, so I simply feather-edged the damage out.

Misc2380.jpg

A close up of the damaged horn with 2(i think) coats of paint. The lighting in the booth reacted with the camera settings to darken the color...

Misc2382.jpg

Misc2381.jpg

Misc2379.jpg

The guitar body, with some fenders froma 32 Ford in the back...

Those pictures were after 2 coats of base, so the splotchiness was taken care of before clear was applied. I missed pictures of the clear application, as well as the damage control, so we'll skip right to the finished project!

Misc2387.jpg

Out from under the gas lights in the shop and booth, the guitar looks a bit more powder blueish.

Misc2388.jpg

Partial assembly with the yellowed pickguard.

And because i love natural light,

Misc2389.jpg

The "finished" guitar half assembled with a bleached pickguard (note; you can still see the old yellowing, we're working on a fix now)

It's done for now, I've delivered it to him, and when all the hardware is reinstalled I'll grab some pictures. I'm trying to convinc ehim some really simple lined black pinstriping was absolutely needed behind the bridge... we'll see.

Edited by TheFue

And, thanks to my stupid self, this is the last of the updates for a while.

I dropped my camera when I was turning it on, and the lens broke free of it's mechanism. So, i'm sending it to Nikon's New York office to have it evaluated if its worth repairing or jsut buying a new/used one.

:D

Dude, you don't have much luck with floors and gravity do ya? :-D

Sorry to hear about your camera....that really does bite! Some of the best loved things are just too easy to damage, but you can't seal them in a box I guess! :-\

Love the shade of blue....or at least how the "Partial assembly with the yellowed pickguard" pic looks. That's an awesome off the beaten track colour. Which is the truest in your opinion?

Well, I got the word today, $167.98 and a full week for repair on the camera.... Good news is I got my friend to take some pictures of the guitar when I was painting it...and I'll have some finnished pics in about a week! The color is AMAZING and the pinstriping came out awesome