14-string E/a & New Electric Model

Alright so, I sat down with a picture of a prs singlecut 10th anniversary, a couple McNaught and a couple Abyss guitar models and came up with the best of all worlds, in my view!

These are some pics of my progress in the past two days.

0620082310b.jpg

0621081307.jpg

I was thinking doing it this color, or an ocean light blue, or tiger eye

0617081932b.jpg

This is my neck blank I just made today for the 14 String Acoustic Electric;

This is made from main Indian Rosewood, with Osage Orange accent strips! Osage is a super hard wood that's ( in this area ) bright yellow when cut, with prolonged sun exposure it turns a brilliant glowing golden color! This neck is going to be slightly thinner than a normal acoustic so it needed extra strength, finished with tru-oil or tung.

0621081306.jpg

Rough sketch on 1/8" Flamed Maple I planed down of the idea.

0621081317.jpg

The areas you see near neck joint are going to be flamed maple at an angle joining the sides and top.

Comments and opinions are welcome! - Josh

WOW. I totally dig! Especially the acoustic. +1 to the coolest acoustic I've seen in a while.

So, how is this 14 string working out, 7 string double-coursed? The headstock should be an interesting endeavor, especially because it's an acoustic with all the weight on the headstock.

For the electric, I personally would have kept the lower horn the same and brought in the rest of the design by maybe a half inch all around. Something about it looks a tad too "thick" to me. But otherwise, it's a great looking design!

::EDIT::

Aaaactually, looking again, I think it's more because the lower horn is carved, making it look smaller. I'd need a full-frontal shot to be sure, but I think it would look more balanced with the front shot.

Yup that's exactly how it's gonna be X =] just like a 12 string but with the added low B and octave higher B

Electric is all routed, all holes joints etc all ready, should start finishing by tomorrow or the next day!

Acoustic neck is roughly done, waiting on the fretboard and frets to get here. I'm making my own binding and kerf out of spare wood I have laying around.

I have some sketches drawn up of the inlay I want I'll upload them soon, it's a nature/outdoors/ tree/leaf theme thing kinda stuff.. O_o

0626080010.jpg

Yellow will darken alot with sunlight

0625081948.jpg

hehe maybe I should be working on the AE more everyone seems to be more interested =] The dimensions were made for the body to be around 1" smaller width and length, you know how an electric has angles on the body to lean against your body? Well This design is going to have those angles as well this should be one of the most comfortable acoustics to play.. EVER! =]

Unfortunately, I've been working on the electric just because I have everything I need to finish it; whereas the acoustic I have a couple hundred dollars of supplies to buy

Progress Pics:

Body is ready for dye! Masked off around the bindings to apply GRAIN FILLER. I like grain filler because it has huge solid contents and doesn't soak in and bleed through the tape line as easy as lacquer does.

0628081727.jpg

dyed, blue/sanded back/diluted blue.

0628081948.jpg

0628082154a.jpg

06280822512.jpg

I'm trying to create a unique pickup mount idea. It's something like Jet mounts, but more of a minimal approach. We'll see how it turns out. Normal pickup rings, even wood, doesn't look clean to me anymore I don't know.

Happy Building! - Josh

mm I dont think a burst on this one (if i ever FINISH a guitar ha) Headstock will be the same as the body however it ends up being.

Thanks! Seeya

Oh I bought a gallon of polyester resin clear, and I'm building a proper spray booth for it out in my barn today! I can't wait, it seems to be one of the more forgiving clears to apply, end result - wise

thats incredible looking. what is the material on the top?

Simply maple wood :D

btw Josh, what are the electronics going into the electric? I'm trying to count the knobs and take wild guesses. I see a hole under the bridge for a piezo system.... a few mini-switches, a regular 3-way switch.... This game is fun!

thats incredible looking. what is the material on the top?

Simply maple wood :D

wow. i am fascinated with its appearance. how was the wood manipulated to create that effect? or was that created purely in the dye job? i like your little end quote btw...i am a n00b to this, so mistakes/sloppiness are abundant in my projects - but i can agree that it adds character. haha.

Skiye, forgive me if I'm being obvious but it's called Quilted Maple, the pattern you're seeing is the actual wood. Yup dye can make the figure in the grain pop to extremes when done right! (that dye job was no example of what one can do) but it's really cool stuff.

Xanthus, =] You guessed it pretty good ha, it's got a piezo bridge, and a VERY simple knob configuration, theres one main volume, and then a seperate knob for mixing piezo/mag. P/U, and the two holes in the center you see are the mini 3 way switch for selecting outputs: PIEZO / PIEZO & MAG MIX / MAG ; and the other selects either stereo or mono output, so you could send the piezo and mag to seperate inputs or amps. The wiring on the piezo could be wired hexaphonically I guess for MIDI tracking capabilites but I've never done anything like that before.

Oh an update, my planer broke up the quilted top on the electric so that's pretty much ruined =[ But on a better note, I ordered a way better quilt set, a full mahogany body and neck and flame center laminate for the whole back of the guitar and neck, new ebony fretboard, frets everything I need.

I also ordered enough paua for binding around the entire body fretboard and headstock, plus B/W/B layers for around it, and I'm cutting up this small flame maple billet I have for really intense flamed binding, how it should be. The only thing I wasn't floored about the neck from soulmate was that the binding was most like 3A or less because the figure was almost nonexistent. The neck figure was excellent tho but it made the contrast to the weak binding noticable, at least to me =]

seeya guys!

well the top on the blue guitar, the planer took a huge chunk out of the thin part where the control cavity was beh.. I had to replace the blades I found they had some chips in them.

This new one is going to be carved top too! So it should be an upgrade all around =]

I don't get it. You ran it through the planer *after* the pictures we see of it with the blue dye on? Why?

Edited by Joel Rainville

Skiye, forgive me if I'm being obvious but it's called Quilted Maple, the pattern you're seeing is the actual wood. Yup dye can make the figure in the grain pop to extremes when done right! (that dye job was no example of what one can do) but it's really cool stuff.

Oh an update, my planer broke up the quilted top on the electric so that's pretty much ruined =[ But on a better note, I ordered a way better quilt set, a full mahogany body and neck and flame center laminate for the whole back of the guitar and neck, new ebony fretboard, frets everything I need.

seeya guys!

haha, thanks. you'll have to forgive me. i am a n00b to all of this. i have been a musician for many years (since age 5, i am 26 now) but only lately have i begun to alter my instruments to my liking and also attempt a "first time build" of my own. when i was like 10, my father and i constructed an acoustic guitar (which as a teenager was also my first real "mod" - that too is what really got me into wanting to mod my cheap guitars to my liking, lol). so, i joined these forums to see what types of materials/processees are used and also to seek advice. hahaha.

thats unfortunate about the finish, it was beautiful. :D how is that acoustic coming along? those woods looked really nice. i like the design a lot too. is it going to be a full size acoustic or are you going with a 3/4 scale body?

Edited by Skiye