My Second New Project

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One word: Utilitarian.

This is gonna be a playing guitar. Not a work of art, not some fancy decoration to hang on the wall and leave alone. This is destined for the stage, with a very loud amplifier behind it, to be played to death!

\m/ \m/

Dare I ask where the final destination of this axe may lie? Your personal axe? For sale? Already consigned for an owner?

GAWD that is one comfy looking design. If it doesn't play like buttah, somebody must have sabotaged it!

Edited by Bryan316

Nice! It looks similar to my as-of-yet-unnamed model. It balances extremely well when sitting and standing with the long upper horn, which reaches to the 12th fret.

Here's a pic of Corey Petro from Custom playing the unfinished prototype:

coreyguitar.jpg

i love your design, as well as the original poster's... the horn extending to the 12th fret is something i've designed into a few drawings i've done, imo its necissary for a 7 or 8 string.

One word: Utilitarian.

This is gonna be a playing guitar. Not a work of art, not some fancy decoration to hang on the wall and leave alone. This is destined for the stage, with a very loud amplifier behind it, to be played to death!

\m/ \m/

Dare I ask where the final destination of this axe may lie? Your personal axe? For sale? Already consigned for an owner?

GAWD that is one comfy looking design. If it doesn't play like buttah, somebody must have sabotaged it!

Thanks! This will be my personal guitar, as it's the first one with this design.

Im somewhat curious as to what everyones method is for this. I've tried epoxy and wood dust, CA and wood dust and most often it comes out much darker than you'd want, even with a lot of wood dust. Wood putty can be bought in many shades and some can even be dyed. Honestly, I recently bought some wood putty type stuff and am trying it out because I didn't really like the glue and dust look personally. I want to see if I can get any better results from wood putty. I only dabbed a bit so far, but it didn't look bad and under a finish might show less than glue and wood dust. I'm curious what everyones choices are. I know with some woods, wood putty is not an option, but with light colored woods like maple, zebrawood and such, it seems like an option worth looking at, but I have yet to really test it out, so who knows. J

And I'm loving that build, the carve made that thing look very nice. I'm working with some Zebrano right now and I must admit you got a nice chunk of that stuff. You did a great job on wood choices too, that whole project fits together perfectly. Very nice work. Keep those pics coming!! J

Edited by jmrentis

awsome, i love the way the woods contrast eachother, it works very nicely together

as far as filling goes ive awlways been a fan of just epoxy (if your doing a laquer or poly finish that is)

if your doing an oil finish i would check out the differnt type of wood puddies, in my experiance if you can match the colors they are next to invisible after the oil and wax.

Kenny

I just want to say this guitar looks AMAZING. I love the design and the zebrawood is an awesome choice. I cant wait to see more!

Thanks!

I've been making some zebrawood pickup rings for this thing. Took me a little trial and error to figure out how to do that right, but I've got a pretty good system now. I'll probably make wooden rings for all my guitars from here on out.

Otherwise, I should be finishing up this thing in a couple days except for mounting the hardware. I can get on to the finishing though pretty soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the oiling process. I only put on 5 coats, and rubbed it down to a satin finish afterwards. I love the look and feel of raw wood - or as close as I can get.

I'm still waiting for my pickups to get here, but I've attached the zebrano pickup rings that I made for it along with most of the hardware for this shot.

100_1831Large.jpg