Sweep Picking

Snork

I'm what you could call a NEWB shredder. I'm really damn good for playing for 8 months. I play hard so don't underestimate me. But i do have a question (lol)

WHERE CAN I LEARN SWEEP PICKING?! ITS SO COOL! all those diminished runs and beautiful arpeggios. BAH! I need IT! can someone show me a good place to find a tutorial i tried searching google cant seem to find it. :D

i have "the jonezters" legendary "Swizeep" song tabbed out in power tab so u can play along with it, good song to start on, he also has some videos, but i don't think they're free anymore so i can't share :D but the powertab is free B) let me know if u use the program, i'll send u the files.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe no one mentioned Gambale!

Snork, Frank Gambale is the king of sweep picking. He's more of a jazz/fusion player than a shredder, but he did play on the famous "truth in shredding" CD, and can play some dizzyingly fast lines. He is credited with developing the technique (it already existed, but he developed it into a usable system, that could be taught learned and full applied. And is the first to really maximize it).

There are at least 2 instructional videos on his site that cover it.

Monster Licks and Speed Picking

Chopbuilder

and 1 book

Speed Picking

Here's the description:

"In this book Gambale explains the concept of Sweep Picking. The best place to get this info is from the man who created the style. This book contains many musical examples and licks and compositions which will help you improve your picking. As Gambale says " I've never met a guitar player who doesn't have a problem with their picking". Sweep Picking builds maximum picking efficiency. It shows you how to sweep and not waste any motion in the picking hand. "Playing fast is easy with Sweeping..........when you get it! So what are you waiting for??". Just listening to Gambale play proves that this technique works. Until Gambale came along, everybody thought the technique was not practical or impossible. Just goes to show you how wrong people can be."

all available on the site. Maybe it's not to late to put in a Chanukah request :D

-Sven

cool those power tab files are neat, i'll have to give those a go, one little trick i noticed, ok to warm up start slow (duh) and if you normaly sweep on the neck or middle position, then warm up on the bridge pickup, with the tone turned all the way down, this will force you to exagerate each note so you can hear it clearly, then when you get warmed up switch to the neck and put the tone back on 10 and you'll have some great clarity, well.... works for me so far :D