Any of these methods sound ok?

New here, I want to build myself a custom (duh, why else would I be here? I know...). Thinking I'd like to do a nice BC Rich style neck through 7 string with either a Beast or Mockingbird body and maybe styling and finish like the NJ Classic Series. There were two different ways I thought about going about this because I'm concerned about getting the body shape/size 'right'.

1. Get something like a Carvin 7 string bolt on neck and custom build the body halves getting the exact woods and finish I want.

2. Get the Carvin neck and pick up a BC Rich platinum series guitar of the model I decide on, cut the body in 'half' and use those to finish it out.

Any comments on especially idea #2 whether it just sounds stupid/suicidal or a viable way to do things? Or tips on getting the body right for method #1 which I would think would be the more 'traditional' way to go about things. I've got three Iby Uni's and figured I ought to get something a little more unique and personal for the next 'aquisition'. Thanks for any ideas or feedback.

How are you planning on converting the bolt-on neck to use it for a neck-thru? I can't think of any feasible way to do that. It's not really a custom guitar if you use all premade pieces :D. I'd say just build it all by yourself if you're going for a neckthrough. If you're gonna cut the body in half, you're gonna have to take wood out of the middle so it's not too wide.

I recall Carvin making only bolt 6's and 4 & 5'er bass necks. They don't make bolt on 7strings...only neck thrus.

IMO I wouldn't cut up a platinum series (unless you own one and hate it). You might as well buy quality wood and make something closer to the USA ones. Or have the body custom made....maybe someone will make you body-wings.

If you are concerned about getting the body dimensions right, why don't you try to borrow a guitar from some place like GC (try to convince them that you really want to try it out before you buy it...), take it home and trace the body and take all the necessary measurements, and then return the guitar the next day.

Sounds like a plan to me...

:D

If you are concerned about getting the body dimensions right, why don't you try to borrow a guitar from some place like GC (try to convince them that you really want to try it out before you buy it...), take it home and trace the body and take all the necessary measurements, and then return the guitar the next day.

Sounds like a plan to me...

:D

i just walk into a music store with a bristol board and my tracing pencil.... no need for the deception, if it's a good store with nice clerks they'll let you do it.

for #1 i think he meant the 7 string neck thru... and my vote is for #1 like wes...

make the wings your self, cheaper then cutting up an expensive guitar, and more fun B)

First off, thanks for all the replies guys!

Yeah, the Carvin neck + platinum beast thing involves cutting the body in 'half' meaning, there would be a two inch or so strip taken out of the center of the body and the wings attached to the neck.

I'm concerned about building the neck myself. I think a body is something that is within my skills and the tools I have available to me. I'm worried about a custom neck because it just seems like a hassle to buy all the parts and shape them correctly and make sure I get it straight. Being that this will be my first guitar project from 'scratch', I'm kind of timid about the neck. I figured doing a neck through with a premade neck kind of at least guarantees that the alignment of everything from bridge to nut will be proper. Plus, it allows me to just build a body and do electronics and 'fun stuff' where a scratch built neck seems more like 'work' to me where I would just pull my hair out. Added bonus is I could probably finish the project in many months less if I don't build the neck myself. I might be brave enough to attempt some inlay work though, or would that be suicidal with a premade neck with frets still on?

If the local GC has some Beasts or Mockingbirds in stock I wouldn't be too afraid to walk in there with 'supplies' and trace one out. I'd ask them before bringing it all in but I know who to talk to to get the go ahead. I want a chance to actually hold the body style and see how it fits me anyway. After thirteen years of playing nicely contoured Ibanez bodies I am a bit concerned about 'bulking up' to something like a BC Rich where there doesn't seem to be much opportunity for contouring without destroying the lines of the body, and I don't want to build a guitar that I never play because it's uncomfortable. Anybody have any experience or comments about playing the Beast or Mockingbird shapes?

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Now is the best time to go to GC to do it cuz they're christmas busy. I just trace a PRS Tremonti, with a sharpie no less. The counter girls think I'm cute, and let me do ANYTHING there as long as the mgr. doestnt see.