What Are Guitar Companies Doing?

Dudz

I recently went out to a guitar store and decided to try out some acoustics. I played many inckuding a $300 epiphone. Not bad at all in fact very good for the price. I then played a more expensive epiphone jumbo acoustic and this thing had a very thick finish on it and the tone was terrible. Booming lows, harsh highs, couldn't tell what was going on with the mids, and frets were buzzing like crazy. I am a firm believer that there are great substitutes the big companies but now I have a more firm belief that epiphone ain't one of them.

I even played a gibson acoustic to see the difference and this one was $999 used but it was still a good deal as it played great and sounded great along with good looks. There were also some great $500-$600 Godins and Seagulls. Still don't know what I'll be getting though. Anyone have a similar experience? I also played a fender stratacoustic and it was terrible! I've always loved fender and now they've really screwed up! The tone was all but inspiring from either the acoustic or electric tones playability was good but the neck was a bit too thin especially for an acoustic. What will happen next? Gibson drilling swiss cheese holes in their electrics? What they've already done it!?!?

Your pains are not limited to "budget" models. Yesterday I was in guitar center with some time to burn so I went into the acoustic room and played every high end guitar on the wall. Including $3000+ taylors, breedloves, Martins, and gibsons. I was not impressed by any of them.

But than I walked over and picked up a taylor DN3 (I think thats what it was) it was a $900 dread with sapele back and spruce top with no electronics, obviously taylors budget model. But I was blown away with not only the sound, but the playability. That was the single nicest sounding and playing acoustic guitar I have ever played, and I've played a lot of $4000+ guitars. The lows were strong, yet not boomey in the least, the mids were strong and every note came through great, the highs were clear and everything had definition. Plus is was LOUD. Very loud. I could drive it hard with a pick and it wouldn't miss a beat or I could touch it with fingerstyle and it would sing. Everything I played on it sounded good.

If I had the money on me I would have bought that guitar in a heartbeat and put in a fishman matrix infinity or something because holy freaking crap that was the nicest guitar I've ever played, and I know a good guitar when I see one.

Now I know all taylor DN3's aren't going to be like this one, but sometimes factory guitar get lucky and pump out one "fluke" guitar that actually sounds good. Just keep shopping around, you'll find something that turns you on. Oh and remember all those guitars your playing in the store are setup like crap and have 3 month old dead strings on them. If you find one you really like get the store to throw in some new strings and a good setup.

It's not just factory - consider the shop as well. I've played Takamine models in all prices ranges for years and worked with numerous music stores/guitar centers along the way and you would be suprised how the exact same model can vary from location to location. Factory setups don't always make it to the store and then some yahoo wannabe guitar tech (read: 10 year old) comes in and starts fiddling around with it, hangs it back up and one of us walks in and says "damn, $900 for that???" To this day, I play a Takamine dread bought in 1995 as a wedding present from my wife - who would have bought me ANY acoustic I wanted at the time. (Now she complains when a new set of strings appears from "nowhere") . I played this guitar at several different places and it was different at each one.

I think you guys are backing up what just about everyone tells you when you want to buy an acoustic. Go play them till you find what you like. There are so many external factors that effect these guitars on top of the way that they are made, not to mention wood used will vary even though it is the same species. A factory is not going to put a dog design into production(there has to be a group of people that like what it is capable of producing). They just have to invest too much to get that model out there. They will try to replicate the dimensions that generally seem to work best for theaverage material used, and they will overbuild to ensure durability. With those considerations they will not get clones but they will get an acceptable average. Taylor even mentioned that they will produce many good guitars and a couple great, and the manufacturing is outstanding and exteamly consistent on those instruments.

This is where acoustics can have an edge when custom built. The maker can adjust the build to accomodate little differences in the material used, and are likely more willing to push it a bit closer to its structural limits(there is less risk in limited quantitys and the buyer is much more likely to care for the more expensive instrument). The finishing options are really good with a custom also. You can have it french polished, oiled, laquered, or even ultra thin highly durable catalized polyester(that stuff when not applied thick is awsome and about as good as it gets).

I think we are pretty lucky really. You can go try out a ton on less expensive guitars till you find one that really shines to you, and get a very good deal on a great instrument.

Rich

Indeed. I have to say that Taylor is frighteningly consistent, though - in a good way. There are always a few guitars that shine, though. Law of averages. Build a lot to the same specs, some will come out fantastically, some will come out decently, a couple will be dogs. Nicest guitar I every played in a store (well, before that Lowden a few weeks ago, private reserve, so tempting to spend the 4000 euros.....) was a Taylor 414. Ovangkol back/sides, Sitka top, perfect balance, great strummer, great fingerpicker. I figure I'll just build until I get one or two I really, really like.

In terms of shop bought stuff, I think solid topped instruments are a must, and quite frankly I've never found any acoustics in the sub 1000 dollar market segment that really spoke to me tonally.

Well I like the responses I've been getting an I would get a Higher priced gibson or taylor acoustic but I don't have te money. I was just stated some horrible thing I've seen recently.

My father thinks he knows everything that is good and what's bad so he's tring to tell me what I should get fo guitars and amps. I like how at this forum there are helpful people who listen to you and give well thought suggestions rather than trying to force me into having other thoughts. My father is still trying to push on me the FACT THAT GIBSON MAKES THE BEST ELECTRIC GUITAR IN THE WORLD AND THAT ALL OF THE GREATEST GUITARISTS IN THE WORLD USE THEM! WELL IF HE THINKS THAT THEN HE CAN GET HIMSELF ONE AND HE DOESN'T HAVE TO TRY EXPLAINING EVERY REASON WHY THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER EVERYTIME HE SEES ONE! He hasn't played seriously since the 80's and thinks he knows everything about guitars. He didn't even know what a tube amp was until I bought my fender hot rod deluxe a few months ago.

Sorry about the rant had to get that out of me but I will still be on the quest for a good acoustic until I find the one I want and get the money together. Another example of bad quality control in guitars that I've seen is actually in lower priced fender electrics and gibson electrics. The feel and playability of them seems to vary quite greatly as to my $400 strat copy made by laguna. I played 5 of the same one and each was strangely exactly the same aside from finish color. I've even seen high priced gibsos with worse finishes than el cheapo Ibanez guitars. It seems like a brand name makes a big difference in price nowadays.

One more thing. My father wants to leanr how to play guitar again and wants to start with an epiphone as quote "They are owned by Gibson that means they are better quality than other low priced guitars." I remember playing many an ibanez electric with tone that easily matches that of a gibson and some that sound like a fender while playing many epiphones resulted in new tones a few like Gibsons and many more like farts. This shows that just being owned by a big name can make you money, you're product doesn't even have to be any good at all! What's next fender coating all of their acoustics in plastic? Sorry I forgot they are already doing that!

FACT THAT GIBSON MAKES THE BEST ELECTRIC GUITAR IN THE WORLD AND THAT ALL OF THE GREATEST GUITARISTS IN THE WORLD USE THEM! WELL IF HE THINKS THAT THEN HE CAN GET HIMSELF ONE AND HE DOESN'T HAVE TO TRY EXPLAINING EVERY REASON WHY THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER EVERYTIME HE SEES ONE!

HAHA...

That was me for a long time...but not because of my Dad.

When I decided to get serious about guitar in my teens I figured, I need no excuses and playing and practicing should be a joy not a chore. So, I saved and went out and bought a secondhand Les Paul (this was mid '70's) which I played and played and went on and played it in everything from rock to jazz to solo stuff. I still have the 'black beauty' under the couch in a flight case but it hasn't been played in a few years now.

One reason is something Jeff Beck said..." the LP is great but it is like driving a Rolls-Royce...sometimes it is just too easy, for what I do I want a stripped down roadster...like a fender" to paraphrase. People like EVH made hit records and great playing inroads on hack jobs and fashion and times change. Still I clung to my LP and it is a great guitar...for what it does!

JB hasn't been seen with an LP for years. Similarly, Jimmy Page played LP...but "stairway" was on a telecaster and others a danelectro. I did love EC's beano era LP tones, but again, no LP's for Clapton in many years...hmmm

In later years I got cheap fender like guitars and hacked away at them for playability and wiring and setup till I found things that kind of worked for me and a lot of stuff that didn't. Not a road that everyone should or would want to take.

There are reasons why a well made gibson electric is king, but to others it is a pretty bit of furniture. Similarly a good Martin Acoustic has become a benchmark. In that respect, your Dad and I were probably right. My LP is a great guitar, but it doesn't suit me anymore and I have often cursed the weight of the thing or the high value of the guitar (I couldn't leave it on stage or anything and hide it in my house!) over the years.

To each there own, so perhaps your Dad should buy himself a gibson...

pete

PS...in a fit of notalgia, I am going to take the LP out and restring it...hehehehe

Edited by psw

I have a Yamaha SG, circa 1985. It´s quite plain looking but more than 20 years later and it still holds up very well. I used to have a Les Paul (which I loved to death), and both sounded quite nice. I daresay that regarding the bass sounds, the SG had more punch and clarity than the LP! Sacrilege! But true, the guitar is very well made and I used to worry about it being made of somehting "substandard" to mahogany (to this date I don´t know what wood was used in this models). Well, time came I had to part with the LP for the money, but I´m keeping the SG

that is no mistake, yamaha make some of the best value guitar out there... at most price ranges. There pacificas are hands down one of the best 'starter' guitars you can get and the perfect base for modding if you want something better

the SG's of the 70's and 80's are nice and i would rather have a late 70's SG2000 than a new les paul and i could get one for a lot less than a LP standard, but the good thing is the new ones are just as nice

most of the yamaha SG's i have picked up have been mahogany bodies with a maple through neck and top, they weigth quite a bit - generally equal to a heavy les paul but they were made at a time when heavy meant better tone and sustain

the FACT THAT GIBSON MAKES THE BEST ELECTRIC GUITAR IN THE WORLD AND THAT ALL OF THE GREATEST GUITARISTS IN THE WORLD USE THEM! WELL IF HE THINKS THAT THEN HE CAN GET HIMSELF ONE AND HE DOESN'T HAVE TO TRY EXPLAINING EVERY REASON WHY THEY ARE SO MUCH BETTER EVERYTIME HE SEES ONE! He hasn't played seriously since the 80's and thinks he knows everything about guitars.

Just a couple of notes on that comment. I bet if you walked into a shop in the 70's or 80's and compared the Gibsons to everything else, you'd get a real different picture than what you'd see today. I really like the older Gibson acoustics, and LOVE the old Guild guitars, but I wouldn't buy a new one from either company. Then again, I'm a big Taylor fan. Your dad probably never had an opportunity to play one. Didn't they really hit the large market in the late 80's/early 90's?

Also, the most important reason some of the greatest guitarists in the world play Gibson is endorsement. It's like basketball players and Nike shoes.

Hey guys thanks for all of your opinions. I'm probably going to the guitar shop in the next couple days and will be trying more acoustics including a 1966 gibson lg0 I believe it should actually say lg2 or lg3 from the year but the ad says lg0 as Gibson acoustics are one of my favorite but often pricey and this is only $500. I will be trying many but I thought I'd point out that one. It will be nice to hear the tone of a 42 year old spruce top! I seem to be straying ever further from my father's preference of marshal amps,, gibson electrics, and ovation acoustics! I don't care what my father likes it's just that he doesn't stop trying to alter me from a fan of strats and teles to gibsons.

In his career he had never owned more than one guitar but had gotten a fender strat, an early fender jazzmaster, a 60's (I believe 64) reverse headstock firebird, and a 70's les paul with a natural finish. He let a very unreliable friend borrow his les paul (his last guitar) and never saw him again and he also had a fender jazz bass that another friend borrowed and he never saw again (you think he'd learn the 1st time). bye for now.

a 1966 gibson lg0 I believe it should actually say lg2 or lg3 from the year but the ad says lg0 as Gibson acoustics are one of my favorite but often pricey and this is only $500.

Buy that one!!! If you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it for more than $500 if it's a 40 yr old Gibson!

a 1966 gibson lg0 I believe it should actually say lg2 or lg3 from the year but the ad says lg0 as Gibson acoustics are one of my favorite but often pricey and this is only $500.

Buy that one!!! If you don't like it, I'm sure you can sell it for more than $500 if it's a 40 yr old Gibson!

That is actually the medium price it goes for the highest I've seen is about $750 in mint condition and it's not very collectible either. Some of the post war lg models even had plastic bridges and nuts. I'm pretty sure this one does but those can be replaced with bones or other materials easily and cheaply. If I do get it I will replace these parts right away and it will be just like any other 40 year old small body gibson acoustic! tonewise anyway!

• 2 weeks later...
that is no mistake, yamaha make some of the best value guitar out there... at most price ranges.

I agree. My mom has a Yamaha G-130A classical that her sister got for her in 1975. I've played it more than she has though. Along with being a beautiful guitar and playing well, it sounds incredible. I used it at a guitar class in school and my teacher wanted to buy it.

The more guitars I look at, the more I see some really overpriced guitars. There can only be so much quality in a production guitar. If I had $1000 to buy an LP, I'd buy an Epi Ultra 2 and save $300 and get more features than a $1000 Gib. My friend bought an Ultra 1 that came upgraded with (I think) Burstbuckers. He played a Gib. LP in the store and couldn't tell much of difference.

And to the idea that the best players use Gibsons :D Nick Valensi, the lead guitarist for The Strokes uses an Epiphone Riviera almost all the time. I think that's part of the reason I like the band