Cutting For A Blade Switch

thats pretty much it.

i used to do them by drilling a seriers of holes, sawing though and tidying up with sandpaper around a metal ruler with care it worked fine... that was before i had the dremel and router base - much easier

I just did one with the drilled holes and a saw blade. It cleaned up ok with sandpaper and my secret weapon, those fingernail emery boards. But :D it was sooooo much work, that last night I ordered the 335 plunge router base for my dremel from amazon. For $25.xx (so free super saver shipping ) it will pay for itself in annoyance savings on my next build.

Todd

I actually used a different method for doing mine on the second build:

-I drilled 1/16" holes at the end points of the switch.

-I exacto'd the dots together with a straightedge, keep going over the line until you break through to the other side. a thin cavity wall helps :D

-Take a thin file (I used a nail file) and widen the slot.

-Wrap the file in sandpaper to get to thickness

I was more confident using this method because I didn't have to worry about any bits slipping, any straightedge wavering, the Dremel chipping..... stuff like that.

::EDIT::

I didn't even realize that Todd posted basically the same thing as I did. And Wez too. That's a sure sign I need me some sleeps.

Edited by Xanthus

I was more confident using this method because I didn't have to worry about any bits slipping, any straightedge wavering, the Dremel chipping..... stuff like that.

That sounds like a great reason NOT to pick up the Dremel. It sounds a LOT more time consuming, but if the results are less safer, then for my money, it's the logical choice.

As usual, thanks for the input. :D

My top was 1/4" thick maple over the controls, so it was a lot of work to cut that slot. Next time I'm hoping to use the dremel with the router base and a jig. I'll test it first though to make sure it won't wander off the line.

Walmart and most drug stores sell these diamond grit nail files for a couple of bucks. They don't last long on wood, but they are very thin and work well to clean up slots and such.

Good luck,

Todd