Painting Outside...

Metalhead28

Even though I like them, I want to get away from "exclusively" doing oil finishes. :D

I'm not opposed to doing spray can finishes a time or two to get started with it. My problem is I don't have room in my garage / workshop to partition off a good space for painting...or anything for that matter...so I think I'm looking at spraying outside on a nice day.

Any of you guys in a similar predicament? If so, where and how do you store your guitar for drying?

I'm just trying to think my way through all the problems before I get to them.

Even though I like them, I want to get away from "exclusively" doing oil finishes. :D

I'm not opposed to doing spray can finishes a time or two to get started with it. My problem is I don't have room in my garage / workshop to partition off a good space for painting...or anything for that matter...so I think I'm looking at spraying outside on a nice day.

Any of you guys in a similar predicament? If so, where and how do you store your guitar for drying?

I'm just trying to think my way through all the problems before I get to them.

I have the same problem. I have tried spraying the guitar while it is hanging on a clothesline in my back yard. This works, as long as you live in a fairly dust free area, and don't have trees with leaves that will blow onto it, and it doesn't rain. For work with brushes, I have been working on a table on the back verandah of my house. This is more comfortable than out in the yard, and has the advantage of having a roof over my head.

For drying, I have been hanging them in a spare bedroom away from any high useage area of the house, particularly the kitchen. Seems to work well.

I have done all of mine outside, and it is extremely tough but you can get a good finish with them. I'll usually spray with the guitar hanging off my garage door and then right away move it inside the garage out of the wind or anything. But I make sure if I am spraying that it is a calm day, and not humid. I'll take the garden hose and spray down everything around me to help keep the dust down.

Bugs, leaves, and dirt are usually the biggest problem with painting outside. Rain could also be a problem. I wanted to paint my truck, so I watched the weather. There was no rain forecast for a couple days, so I thought I'd paint it then let it dry in the garage. I got half the truck sprayed with a first coat, went in to put more paint in the gun, step outside and it starts raining. :D needless to say I had to sand it down and start again. As for drying, I'd say hang it somewhere with little dust/ movement like stated before. Maybe do more thinner coats to speed up drying time and cut down on the risk of a bug flying into it.

Keep a look out for a large appliance box (washing machine, fridge, etc) and slice a "door" in it with a knife...instant spray booth...when not in use, fold flat and store away from dust. If concerned that the box itself will give off dust...spray it...it will get covered in paint anyway :D

I did all mine outside. Both poly and lacquer, and I did get pretty good results after um... much trial and error.

Things to avoid:

1. Sun - dark finishes will absorb heat. Don't get sidetracked and leave a black guitar out in the sun at midday for 1/2 an hour before shooting lacquer clearcoat. Bubbles everywhere!

2. Dust - clean the area surrounding the workspace. Turbulence from your spraying activities, even w/ rattlecans, will raise nastys off the deck to stick to your finish.

3. Wind - Yeah, we know wind brings dust but it also does other things. Uneven drying, drying too fast and entrapping solvents etc.

4. Bugs and other critters - have a look around, everything that flies or rides the wind (eg. baby spiders) has the potential to land on or collide with your work. Think of it as a giant piece of flypaper for the first 10 or 15 minutes.

5. Neighbors - I've shot paint even with a slight breeze and have had next door neighbors remark on the odors. If they got kids playing in the yard you better think twice.

So pick the right day and the right time of day, when no one is around and temperatures, wind speed, humidity/dust levels are lower. Of course having all those conditions at optimum can be rare so I've taken precautions like covering my work with a large, clean cardboard box. I suppose you could also build yourself a paint booth out of heavy plastic. Otherwise, ya pay yer money and take yer chances.

Edited by Southpa

here in Phx, last December I finished my first guitar in nitro. I generously cleaned and vac'd my shop very clean then lined the walls, cabinets, shop tools, in 4 mil sheeting. I sprayed my pieces using a small step ladder as a tree to hold the pieces just inside the door leading to the yard.

I've found with nitro and at the fast rate that it kicks, I obtained a fantastic finish by painting one side of a body for ex., flipping it upside down so no dust or bugs to settle down into the wet surface, waiting a few minutes for it to flash to a point that anything that may land on it will easily remove once fully cured, then spray the other side repeating the process of inverting it once finish is layed on.

If you tend to spray with a heavy hand than this process will probably net you some paint runs, but if you're using a moderate to light coat then I've found it to work well. I obtain cross ventilation by having the overhead garage door and the side yard door open during spraying then close them when not to stop the air flow and the increased chance of foreign material finding it's way into the finish. I layed drop cloths over my bikes and parked the cars outside away from any flow of over spray. This is an Opie Taylor way of doing it but it worked very well, and the weather here is great for painting.