A Modern Vintage Cigar Box Mandolin

Jehle

Howdy folks. Just wanted to show off the latest mad creation from the shop.

Take a pre-war Banjo neck and splice it on a 1940's cigar box repurposed as a Ukulele, string it up with Mandolin strings, then call it a Guitar... and you get THIS...

fullfront.jpg

two.jpg

Still working on the sound clip, but this is a great player. Really bright sounding but a mellow tone at the same time. It's hard to explain.

I think you'ver inspired me to make a cigar box guitar........... Very good job on this I like the rustic feel to it, but how is that thing tuned? Is it in regular banjo or a type of guitar tuning or something different?

This one is tuned like a Mandolin, in 5ths. GDAE or something like that. I don't know anything about mandolin playing so I just mess around and find a few frets that work better than others and strum like mad. :D

"Boobs" or the Quintero Esquire Tele is my main guitar now. That's the one that I can't sell. I think that box was masonite or something. Masonite has a great tone to it actually.

The cedar boxes work well too. They are just getting harder to find.

Oh, and the rustic look, considering that those parts are from the 20's and 40's that's real dirt on there. All I did was splice the two bits together and string it up. It would figure that some of the best things I make take about 5 minutes to put together.

This one is tuned like a Mandolin, in 5ths. GDAE or something like that. I don't know anything about mandolin playing so I just mess around and find a few frets that work better than others and strum like mad. :D

I'm not trying to be funny but you do know that upside down guitar chords (bass four only obviously) are mandolin chords?

Edited by joshvegas

I'm not trying to be funny but you do know that upside down guitar chords (bass four only obviously) are mandolin chords?

Yep. That works to get started. But, for example, a G chord played on a mandolin (by a mandolin player) would be:

_3_

_2_

_5_

_4_

And an upside-down guitarist would just play...

_3_

_2_

_0_

_0_

Both work, but the proper mandolin chord sounds a little better. I really need to make the sound clip of this little animal. You are not going to believe the sound that it has for what it's made of.

Yep. That works to get started. But, for example, a G chord played on a mandolin (by a mandolin player) would be:

_3_

_2_

_5_

_4_

And an upside-down guitarist would just play...

_3_

_2_

_0_

_0_

Both work, but the proper mandolin chord sounds a little better. I really need to make the sound clip of this little animal. You are not going to believe the sound that it has for what it's made of.

according to my book the first chord is actually a bluesgrass chord and the second is just and open G both are acceptable!

blues grass chords have no open strings to get a rythm going because that is the mandolins role in bluesgrass.

you should make a full on 8 string mandoln out of it :D

like i said according to my book it could well be wrong! B)

I play my mandolin by playing a chord read the book play the next one consult the book again repeat as required!

Edited by joshvegas