Random Wood Fs

the telecaster kid

Red heart Cedar: I've got enough for a number of neck blanks or laminates.

Black Locust: As I've been saying for a while, I have a lot, enough for many neck blanks, and possibly laminated body blanks.

Red Oak: I've got some huge red oak logs I don't have any use for. If anyone wants some, I can cut some.

Cherry/chestnut (Burl): I've got some chunks of cherry and chestnut that could make interesting pieces, not the right size or shape for necks or bodies though

Spalted/flamed maple: I've got enough for a few neck blanks and a few top sets.

Black Locust (Burl): I have a few pieces that could make interesting fretboards or body laminates.

Crotch Oak: I've got some pieces that could make very cool tops.

Edited by the telecaster kid

Not really sure that some of the woods you're selling are best used in the ways you're selling them... a spalted maple neck???

Chris

+1 not real stable if spalted very heavily

Thanks for pointing that out, I actually knew it and wasn't really thinking. Braincramp, you know. It's just that my spalted maple pieces are in a size that would be easy to cut into neck blanks. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea... Sorry about that guys. I guess those blanks would best be suited as body laminate pieces. At least, the ones that aren't wide enough to bookmatch for tops.

Killemall: The crotch oak was a bit tricky. Haha, I gashed my shin trying to cut one section, so I kind of put it on hold for a few days. From what I've seen, it's pretty cool looking, but obviously you're gonna want some pictures. I'll have them for you once my leg stops huting :D. It's also quite heavy. If you were interested, how big a piece would you be looking for?

Sorry about that to everybody else, with this leg wound, cutting is going to take a few more days. I will get the pictures up as soon as I can though, i appreciate your patience.

I also wouldn't put ANYTHING burled on as a fretboard, nor would I use red cedar for neck runners. Also, I have no info on black locust, but I'm gunna throw it out there that I've never heard of it being used for necks. No offense, but if you're selling lumber to people you really have to know more about it's qualities, what it's good for. You're getting a bunch of newbs on this forum that will just take what you say and run with it. I'd be pretty mad if I bought a burl fretboard and finished my first guitar just to find the neck won't stay straight for the life of it.

Chris

It is a pretty good idea for you to do your homework if you are going to cut up and sell the wood. If it is offered as instrument blanks, be sure you know what is needed for it to be suitable. If it is not suitable for instrument parts, maybe it is suitable for turning, boxes, pens, or other craft wood applications. Most wood is not best suited for "instrument" parts, it is only a small portion of it that fits the requirements. There are some who will use lesser grades(some who understand what they are doing others who don't). More than a fair number of people have taken every scrap of wood they can cut to parts dimensions and called it instrument blanks. It is a poor way to go and is hardest on the buyers who are beginners and would not know the difference(they put their trust in the sellers knowledge). There are a lot of uses for most bits of wood, even if they are not instrument related. Find the right home for it, and people will be happier.

Not meant as a critique of the wood you are getting ready to cut up(I have not seen what you have). Just a suggestion, so you and those you sell to are happy :D

Rich

Nah, that guy's right. I'm done with the lumber selling business. I suck at this, there's really no point of me continuing to frequent this forum. Sorry.

? :D ?

You only frequent this forum to sell wood? I find that hard to imagine. There isn't much to be gained by selling a little wood, and a fair bit of work as well as time spent. If dealing with selling wood is frustrating skip it, or wait until it is less frustrating for you. This is a builders forum though, so why avoid the forum if you like building?

Do whatever makes you happy :D No point in doing anything less.

Rich