Neodymium Magnet Speakers?

j. pierce

Got an email from one of the places I order stuff from, was glancing through it before tossing it in the trash bin, and noticed a mention of some new Jensen speakers with Neodymium magnets.

I've been using the same couple of eminence speakers in my cabs for a while now - a half and half mix of a "Texas Heat", and one "Governer" from their Patriot/Redcoat series. I don't know if those are good speakers or not, but they were what we put in the 4x12" we built, and when I realized that was ridiculous, I put the same thing in the 2x12" I refurbed. They were cheap enough, and I really like the tone I'm getting now, having them driven by my Crate V30H or my homebrew 18Watt. Much better than the uber-low end Celestions that were in the 2x12" when I came into possession of it.

So I don't have a real reason to upgrade, but I live on the third floor, and the idea of hauling a lighter cab up and down the stairs is amazing, and from what I understand, that's the major benefit of speakers with neo magnets.

Anyone have any experience with them? I guess I can deal with changing my tone. I don't like anything to shrill, and I find I don't like the tone of heavily doped speakers, but really, I'm just looking for "doesn't suck".

I'll have to start looking at these for building a portable speaker for running our PA head into for band practice. I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing about Neo magneted speakers - this can't be that new, can it?

• 2 weeks later...
If I do remember correctly, aren't neo speakers supposed to produce a flatter frequency response?

Or I could be pulling that completely out of the air. It's happened before.

What's the difference in weight between a regular 12" and a neo 12"?

I think it's more like they can have more lows and more highs so the frequency response looks flatter if you look at the curve.

IIRC neo speakers are louder, lighter, and have a slightly more "hifi" sound to them because of the aforementioned frequency response anamoly.

I haven't heard them in a guitar amp, but I hear good things about them. I have however heard them in a PA system and not only are the cabs very light, but it sounds really really good.

The alnico or ceramic magnets on traditional speakers are anywhere from 3 to 7 lbs for a 12". On neo speakers, they are more like 7-12 oz - so you save 2-5 lbs per speaker.

Now all you need is a carbon-foam cabinet....and neo-mag power transformer in the head...

....And we can get to work on building the lightest, most powerful boombox in the world! I want one for each shoulder!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pair of Celestion Century speakers in my 4x12 cab. They're coupled with a pair of G12T-75's. The 1st and foremost reason I got these was for the light weight. Neo magnet are extremely strong, yet very lightweight. Because the of the light magnet, the Neos weigh pretty much nothing compared to a conventional speaker.

The Celestion century speaker is more efficient (louder) that any other ceramic or alnico magnet speaker. The Centurys sound great to me. Not sure why some people say hi-fi. They're slightly clearer that the G12T-75, without being ice-picky. Could be because they have more upper mids. Not sure. I never really analyzed the sound to death. Plenty of bass response, but then again, I never had to complain about the bass response of the G12T-75s. I like the attack on these speakers. I like to play fast riffs and hear every single note clearly defined. This speaker delivers on that front.

Eventually, when I have the cash and the priorities are aligned, I'll replace the other 2 G12T-75s in that 4x12 cab with another pair of centurys. I highly recommend them if weight is an issue. I never tried the Century Vintage but that also on the list for a 2x12 cab I have.

I never tried any of the other brands i.e. Jensen, Eminence etc. I'm a big fan of Celestion speakers because they've always delivered.

Edited by guitar2005