Custom Guitar Show - Perth, Australia

In Yallingup. Which is basically Dunsborough. Some nice looking guitars! I saw Saxons white multiscale when i came and got some clear lacquer off you a couple months back.

Whats happening on the day Perry? a few performances it said.

Just confirmed:

IMG_3099a.jpg

GUITAR SHOW PROGRAM

Doors Open

Perry Ormsby and Saxon Smith with the Multiscale Custom

"Pickups: Design parameters of the most commons types of pickups, including how they are made, the materials and magnets used, and how they effect tone" Scale length and neck design: How scale lengths effect tone and sustain, and discussion of neck profiles and their contribution to tone and playability"

Perry Ormsby and Andrew Ellis

"Tonewoods: Discussion of tonewoods, their relative tonal characteristics, and usefulness for solid and chambered electric and acoustic guitars."

Pete Barrenger - Fingerstyle Techniques (Beginner to Advanced)

James Michael Thompson (Tompo) Clinic - 8 String Baritone Resonator Demo, Upright Slide Techniques

Andrew Winton Clinic - Lap Slide Guitar Techniques, Open Tunings (Beginner to Advanced)

Graham Green Clinic lead playing 6 & 7 string guitars

Performance: Warren Page (from The Dirty Secrets)

Performance: Andrew Winton

Performance: Graham Green

Performance: Saxon Smith

-------------------------------------

Graham Greene

Through the 80 s and early 90 s, Graham was one of the highest profile guitar players in Perth. His stints included Flash Harry (82 - 86) as well as the enormously popular & successful Melodic Hard Rock Band, Ice Tiger (87 - 92), gaining recognition in Australia, Europe and Japan. Graham continues to entertain people with his fretboard agility & melodic compositions while continuing to gain recognition world wide. In October 2007 Graham was Special Guest with his instrumental band at Steve Flack's Guitar Heroes:Guitar Fest in Sydney & in January 2008 returned with his vocal band, Resonance Project, from a Vietnam Stadium Concert where they were invited to represent Australia to a viewing audience of 15,000 ppl and televised live to 6 million people on VTV1. Guitar heads and music lovers alike are reminded of the fun & expression of music and the feelings of exhilaration and inspiration only a Greene guitar display can achieve. An experience not to be missed.

Andrew Winton

Andrew is an independent solo artist combining acoustic guitar, lap slide, dobro, with hollers and stomps to provide an engaging and authentic performance. In 2007 Andrew was nominated for a West Australian Music Industry (WAMI) award for best blues/roots artist, and spent 6 weeks touring the US & Canada having been invited to perform at the prestigious SxSW Music Festival in Austin, Texas and also Canadian Music Week in Toronto. In 2007 Andrew made memorable appearances at most key Australian festivals including Woodford Folk Festival, West Coast Blues & Roots, Blues on Broadbeach (QLD) and many others, along with numerous other shows around Australia. 2008 has already proved successful with a recent WAMI nomination for Best Guitarist, and a finalist spot in the International Songwriting Competition.

Saxon Smith

Saxon is a rising star on the Australian music scene, and is already making a name for himself as a member of Graham Greene & The Happy Sinners and Resonance Project, as well as fronting his own experimental metal band, UTI. Saxon's incredible grasp of the instrument and awesome technique has earned him a reputation as a player's player, and is perfectly suited to the amazing new guitar that was custom-built for him by Ormsby Guitars - the Multiscale Custom.

Saxon has released two CDs with UTI, and has toured nationally and internationally with Graham Greene and Resonance Project. His star continues to rise. He was nominated for Guitarist of the Year in 2008.

About his new Ormsby, Saxon said: "The Multiscale Custom is everything I could want in a guitar - it not only compliments my playing style, but it also helps me keep my approach to the instrument fresh and unique. The Multiscale six string Perry built for me truly changed my life. The addition of an eight string Multiscale has broadened my musical scope and totally redefined my outlook on music and writing."

James Michael Thompson (Tompo)

Tompo's sound has been honed and refined by the influences of Jeff Lang, John Lee Hooker, Lloyd Spiegel, Paul Simon and Skip James. Beginning to gig in earnest in late 2004, Tompo's credits include debuting at the acclaimed Bridgetown Blues Festival in 2005; supports for The Bondi Cigars and Lloyd Spiegel at the Perth Blues Club, hosting the Melbourne Blues Appreciation Society's (MBAS) blues night at the Cornish Arms and demonstrating the one-of-a-kind Ellis Guitars Seven String Resonator at the Frankston Guitar Festival in 2005. Tompo has also performed alongside the likes of Collard, Greens and Gravy; The Black Sorrows and Guy Davis at the Mordialloc Music by the Bay; Queensland songsmiths Loren & Marcus Bancroft; as well as performing on the same bill as Michael Franti and Jamie Cullum at the West Coast Blues and Roots Festival.

Pete Barrenger

With a soon to be released 6 track EP Pete Barrenger is one of Perth's most interesting and talented up and coming instrumental acoustic guitarists. With his laid back relaxed style Pete has wowed audiences across Perth with unique original compositions clearly demonstrating his influences in Flamenco, Jazz, Classical and Contemporary Acoustic guitar.

Pete On Ellis;

"I searched long and hard for the right guitar to compliment and motivate my playing but off he shelf models just didn't have what I was looking for. My custom Ellis 000 with East Indian Rose wood back and sides, Engelmann Spruce soundboard and Wedge system has been the perfect match and inspiration for my playing."

Warren Page

Warren Page is an exciting new singer/songwriter from Perth Wa.A mix of primal acoustic rock,and vocal gymnastics,Pages live shows are a blend of intimacy and explosivness. Influenced by the likes of Jeff Buckley ,Bob Dylan ,Damien Rice and Radiohead,Page is set to release his debut ep early next year. Warren Page is set to play a small ,select amount of shows this month,before continuing bass duties with The Dirty Secrets touring for the remainder of the year.

One of these days I will need to visit one of these other countries for something like this...Maybe I will get lucky and be able to pull a vacation to pick up my guitar when it is competed in person or something...My luck I would be attacked by a wallaby...or a Dingo..

Hey Wes, we are coming back to the USA in July or August, and hitting LA, Oklahoma and Vegas. Just so you know :D I expect your guitar to be done well before then though.

One of these days I will need to visit one of these other countries for something like this...Maybe I will get lucky and be able to pull a vacation to pick up my guitar when it is competed in person or something...My luck I would be attacked by a wallaby...or a Dingo..

Hey Wes, we are coming back to the USA in July or August, and hitting LA, Oklahoma and Vegas. Just so you know :D I expect your guitar to be done well before then though.

Let me know where/when you'll be in Oklahoma. :D

Let me know where/when you'll be in Oklahoma. :D

It will be for Rocklahoma next year B) But, depends on the line-up they announce.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here is a further run down of what myself, and my performers will be doing. Of course, Andrew Ellis (Ellis Guitars) and his players will be running their clinics and performances in addition to this.

CLINICS:

Multiscale clinic (30-45 minutes): All about the design and practical advantages of the Multiscale guitars, including demos and discussion.

Pickup design and construction (10-20 minutes): All about pickup construction and materials, how those materials effect tone, and how to select the ultimate pickup to suit your needs

Intonation and compensation (5-15 minutes): Advanced compensation techniques for the ultimate in intonation over the entire fretboard (not just the 12th fret like EVERY production guitar ever made).

Timber and Construction (60-90 minutes): Guitar tonewoods discussion, and why certain timbers are favored. Acoustic and electric guitar construction, and how certain methods favor certain styles of playing.

Advanced Lead Techniques: Lead guitar playing for those looking to go to the next level, but Multi Award winning guitarist Graham Greene.

PERFORMANCES:

Graham Greene and the Happy Sinners: Graham will play an all instrumental set featuring 6 and 7 string guitars, with band mates Tommy and Jim.

Saxon Smith: Saxon will be joined by UTI bassist Chad, for an instrumental set covering tunes from UTI, Cirque Du Soleil, and some surprise covers. This set will be performed exclusively on a range of Multiscale guitars, in 6 and 8 string versions.

At some stage, there WILL be a guitar 'Crossroads' shootout. Because we can :D Some more guitars have been confirmed to be there, more details later.

guitarshowcollage.jpg