Bolt On Into Set

The pocket should be plenty snug. Bolt ons require a very tight fit. How much are you planning on shaving off the heel? You'll still have the holes there. If you come up with a creative way to cover them could would work nice.

I'm also curious as to why. Is this for tone reasons?

I've never heard of anyone doing this, but I don't se a reason why it wouldn't work, technically. Keep in mind, you run a great risk of trashing the guitar.

realistically there isnt much benifit of a properly done bolt on over a set neck (tonally speaking, ease of repair is a differnt story)

with that being said i couldnt really imagine why you would want to convert into a set neck....but if you were going to, its fairly easily done.

i personally wouldnt though.

is i stuppid idea, to glue into neck pocket bolt on neck and shape the heel, so it looks like set neck?

sounds odd but could be done, why? is a good question. "maybe" looking for a little more sustain??? maybe.. if thats the case I would convert it to a string through the body first, before taking on a set neck conversion..

The pocket should be plenty snug. Bolt ons require a very tight fit.

I'm guessing you haven't seen many production guitars lately. Can't remember ever finding a factory guitar with a snug-fitting bolt on neck. And once you strip the finish off -- you have to get past the sealer, otherwise the glue won't bond with the wood--you're even less likely to have a snug fit.

The only way to achieve this is by filling the existing neck pocket with a block of wood, then routing a new neck pocket to match the modified heel.

It's possible, sure.

Food for thought: I used to think I only liked Gibson-scale setneck guitars. Then I realized I actually like the sound of a bolt on and the feel of the longer Fender scale. Although my current favorite guitar is a set neck. But at least it has the 25.5" scale that I prefer nowadays. Point being, you might find your own preferences evolving and revolving, so this mod might not be necessary in the long run.

The pocket should be plenty snug. Bolt ons require a very tight fit.

I'm guessing you haven't seen many production guitars lately. Can't remember ever finding a factory guitar with a snug-fitting bolt on neck. And once you strip the finish off -- you have to get past the sealer, otherwise the glue won't bond with the wood--you're even less likely to have a snug fit.

You're right, I haven't. I especially haven't looked at any bolt on necks. I think most of the big companies overcharge for their guitars, at least their "good" guitars. If you have a tight budget, then a cheap Fender or Epiphone is the way to go, but if you're looking for something that's going to really be great, you're going to get ripped off by the big companies. A luthier could make you something for close to the same price that will be twice as good and probably personalized. I know not everyone here will agree with that, but that's fine. I'm not trying to start anything. :D

I'm liking the sound of bolt-ons more and more, but it has to be well made and the pocket really should be tight. To each his own, though.

That's one of the big differences in a hand made bolt on vs. big company, most hand made bolt ons have a very snug neck pocket. But in a big name brand, forget about it. But as far as having a custom built for close to the same price, it's not going to happen. A brand new Gibson is running $1000 to $1500 usually, most custom built guitars by a quality luthier start at least $2000, and that is for very few options, to have it personalized is always an adder. It a lot cheaper than a big name Custom Shop job, but is still quite a bit more than a custom made small name luthier.

well, i dont know if i would agree

there are some luthiers out there who are trying to compete with the large brands :-p

hense me

my bolt on electrics (fairly standard, no fancy top wood, mahog body and maple neck) start at 899

naturally im not paying myself much, but i feel that guitars are works of art that everyone sould enjoy

then again, i dont think ive ever been refered to as a "luthier" let alone a well known one :-p

Edited by Kenny