Painting Practice

Hey everybody! I don't play the guitar, but I felt like painting my bass. I got it from Santa a long time ago, but I never did learn how to play. I decided to paint it in order to perfect my painting skills. I am practicing with bigger items since I usually only paint model cars. I hope to be able to get a hold of some other old guitars to practice on. BTW, this is an old ibanez bass. This was also my first time taking a guitar apart. I found it disturbingly simple! I know they aren't all this simple, but I always thought they all ran on magic or something!

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

I'm not sure if I'm only allowed a certain number of images per post or not? Sorry if there is! You can call me guilty of not reading all of the rules lol.

I plan on clearcoating it tomorrow, so stay tuned for pictures! Thanks for looking, and thanks for having me here. I look forward to seeing the creativity going on here!

Edited by jmccall

Thanks Geo! Yeah the first two pictures show the guitar masked off. I know what you mean about the colors, I have had the same feeling when I painted other items!

And thanks to you too, Jon!

I finished this one. I Won't be posting much since I don't play. But I'll be back if/when I can paint another guitar. I'm going to ask a few friends and look around at some shops for another project.

I'm pretty happy with the results of this guitar. I cleared it once, wet sanded, and then cleared again, and wet sanded, then buffed, polished, and waxed it. These steps are where I need the practice. I sanded through the first coat of clear, so the graphics were ruined in (more than) a few spots. I left them since its hard to tell.

DSC01776.jpg

DSC01767.jpg

Thanks for checkin it out! I'm looking forward to my next paintjob. Not sure when, but I'll post it.

Hey thanks you guys!

All the tape is automotive 3M tape. The blue is vinyl striping tape. (fine line) It has nice straight edges so you get crisp lines. Medium stick so that you can position it multiple times. The lime green and beige are both regular masking tape. 3M uses lime green so that their reps can tell that the auto body shops are using 3M without having to ask.

Great job! Your design really "flows" into and around the basic elements of the guitar.

Agreed, you did a great job using the pinstriping to complement the body shape and style, as well as the hardware/electronics/whatnot that was already on there. Unlike other *ahem* guitar painters who decided it would look fantastic to stripe their body any haphazard way with red, black, and white paint.

I'm just going to waaaaalk away from that.

Anyways, is the headstock done to match? And where do you get your ideas? I've never been the most accomplished painter/artist in the world.

That is some great work! :D Much better than my first attempt at painting a guitar. I kinda agree with Geo that the first couple pictures look cool with all the colors from the masking tape. But the finished shots of the guitar look awesome!

Thanks Geo! Yeah the first two pictures show the guitar masked off. I know what you mean about the colors, I have had the same feeling when I painted other items!

And thanks to you too, Jon!

I finished this one. I Won't be posting much since I don't play. But I'll be back if/when I can paint another guitar. I'm going to ask a few friends and look around at some shops for another project.

I'm pretty happy with the results of this guitar. I cleared it once, wet sanded, and then cleared again, and wet sanded, then buffed, polished, and waxed it. These steps are where I need the practice. I sanded through the first coat of clear, so the graphics were ruined in (more than) a few spots. I left them since its hard to tell.

Thanks for checkin it out! I'm looking forward to my next paintjob. Not sure when, but I'll post it.

so you only did 1 coat of clear before wet sanding? you'd going to want to build up your finish, not just do 1 coat, wet sand, and do another coat and wet sand, thats why you wound up sanding through the clear on the first attempt at wet sanding.