Got A Free Guitar

Dudz

My mother's friend doesn't play guitar anymore so she decided to give me her guitar. It's a Korean made Epiphone from the early 90's and it actually plays and sounds quite nice. The mahogany that it's made of actually very closely resembles honduran. The tones is nice and woody with a deep bass. The spruce top has aged nicely and is ading to the mellowness of the tone. It has minor fret buzz. It has ugraded tuners on it and all it needs is a new nut, saddle, and bridge pins.

Coincedentally,I just pulled out my epiphone goth lp and gave it a whirl...man that is quite a start of a good guitar...the basic tone is outstanding and the short scale feels way slinky to me...

I think an SS fret job,a nut slotting,and a jb/59 set would turn it into a mighty fine guitar

When it comes to Epi les pauls I've found that most suck but every now and then there is one that is just phenominal and begging for new pickups. One thing I forgot to mention about this acoustic is the power in the bass. The overall tone is pretty sweet and mellow but when picked hard the bass get really aggressive and the highs can bark. Who knows what it will be like with new strings on it along with bone parts replacing the plastic.

Well the goth epi is all mahogany and very dark sounding...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=517233

I bought it about 4 months ago and really have not played it much until now...very nice guitar for the price...honestly,except for the pickups,it is I have to say just as nice as a les paul studio(Gibson) without the maple cap...basically sounds like an explorer..

i will join in with a bit of epi love!!

I had this thing sine 1997 eventually it ended up ignored in the corner of the workshop as the stuff i was building got better...but last month during a clear out i found it again.... and realised i had enough spare parts to rebuild it to quite high spec... so i did

full1.jpg

the pickups are Bulldog vintage PAF's, and all electronics and hardware were replaced with upgrades... new bone nut as well

It is now a mighty fine guitar, a little weak acoustically (compared to the stuff i build) but certainly not lacking once plugged in.. its very comfy as well but that may be because its the guitar i played most between 1997-2003

Free is a good price any time.That was very nice of her.

Yeah, she used follow bands like Bon Jovi al around the America and Europe and she never found the patience to sit down and learn how to play her guitar so she hasn't used it for years. She wanted it to be given to someone who would use so she gave it to me and I don't even know her. I have to say it is one of those epiphones that is a tone beast from a herd of crap guitars. A little fret work and replacing of the plastic parts and for under $30 this will be quite a great guitar.

After Christmas I'll be putting bone nut, saddle, and bridge pins on the Epi and my Alvarez which is also quite a piece of work for $430 with rosewood back and sides and a spruce top. The two together are great. The epi has power and agression while the alvarez has sort of a shimmering reverberant tone with immense depth.

I think I'm gonna get an epi les paul or sg after Christmas as well and throw on some dimarzios I have (Fred and Paf 36th neck) and then add a bone/graphite nut. The ibanes copy those are in right now was my first guitar and is in poor condition and has many problems (way too thin neck, agathis body, g string goes out of tune every 5 seconds, potentiometers are scratchy the tone control stopped working and both act as volume on both pickups).

Yuck....... Too mean looking. The inlays are too pointy and the pickups are my least favorite the emg active pickups. How bout duncan 59's, gold hardware, block inlays, and tortoise shell knobs pickguard and binding to turn it into a blues axe, then I would like it. Personally I prefer non flame/quilt woods with transparent finishes that ain't too flashy and less painful looking inlays. Paul Riario of guitar world seems to like the whole prophecy line. They seem quite expensive for epiphones that aren't elitist models.

How bout duncan 59's, gold hardware, block inlays, and tortoise shell knobs pickguard and binding to turn it into a blues axe,

Oh..you mean make it exactly like every other les paul out there?Finally epiphone decides to do what Gibson SHOULD be doing by being innovative and somehow you think that is a bad thing?

I quite like it,if you can't tell.

How bout duncan 59's, gold hardware, block inlays, and tortoise shell knobs pickguard and binding to turn it into a blues axe,

Oh..you mean make it exactly like every other les paul out there?Finally epiphone decides to do what Gibson SHOULD be doing by being innovative and somehow you think that is a bad thing?

I quite like it,if you can't tell.

If you like it then great for you that's your opinion on it, we all like differet things. Most les pauls I see are burst finish flame tops with block pearl inlays, white binding, and chrome hardware wtih either emgs or duncan jb/jazz setup on them. And if that guitar is what you like great but I don't cuz I'm more of a blues/rock guy myself and not much of a metalhead and that guitar seems to be set up as what I would cinsider to make it more of a metal guitar. However Metallica and a few 80's metal bands like Iron Maiden are bands that I like.

Edited by Dudz

Most les pauls I see are burst finish flame tops with block pearl inlays, white binding, and chrome hardware wtih either emgs or duncan jb/jazz setup on them.

Where have you been?Gibson and epiphone have never offered those pickups on a stock guitar until very recently...this is the first Gibson or epiphone I have seen (aside from the ZW crap) that was made for the metal crowd specifically that was not a "goth" model...though the goth models are decent,they lack good pups like EMG or duncan...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=517030

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=517536

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=519321

Oh..and notice this one...the les paul "traditional" which has always been set up almost exactly as you mention...

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=519319

put on some tortoise shell knobs and pickgaurd and "boo-yah"

Gibsons have rarely offered non gibson pickups...epiphone has at times,but not much...personally,I think it is great that after 30 years of having to modify every guitar I buy to play metal with,that FINALLY companies are starting to get the idea that Metal is here to stay....the last 3 years is the first that I have been able to buy guitars and not swap pups on them first thing.

You blues guys had your time and now it is ours...but you still have much to choose from.

Check out Carvin's "guitars in stock" too...they have some beautiful guitars for the blues crowd...the new single cut is awesome I think

A free guitar is neat for sure...congratulations...

On a side note, I played a gibson LP for years and years (still have it, but hardly ever play it). I'm also not a metal player by any stretch.

But...I have to agree with Wes and actually found several of these new epiphones highly desirable and soooo much of what Gibson have come up with in the past really misjudged at best. Some of what is put out as "metal" seems cynical and fashion conscious...a bit of matt paint and less inlays or something...instant metal...i don't think so!

And...although there will always be room for the classic LP there are a lot of things about it that could be updated or offered that would suit the playing of all kinds of genres...their lack of response is exactly why PRS got in but the classic single cut LP look is why PRS felt the need to do their own version and Gibson fight them so hard on the thing.

Personally...from a players perspective, I think the none traditional control layout, simplified to two knobs and within reach of the playing position is a big improvement...a trem option like the floyd on that carvin, or simpler like a PRS or top shelf like a khaler need not only be seen to be a metal thing. The weight of an LP is overbearing as well...heavily chambered or thinner models would be a good thing.

Maybe there is some kind of marketing mojo going on in their heads...like if they improved the original, the original wouldn't be so desirable anymore...but perhaps they could use the epiphone brand to be a little more innovative.

Still...the prices seem a little steep and some of the inlay things are a personal taste...

When I mentioned most les pauls I see I was talking about the guitars after people upgrade them with pickups of their choice and guitars made by other companies like esp who makes a very good copy with flame top, burst finish, chrome hardware, block inlays (or maybe flag in lays which are similar), and emg or duncan jb pickups and these are more popular than other les pauls in my area and those who do get epiphone/gibson in my area usually upgrade them in to the esp model with the duncans or emgs and locking tuners + tonepros bridge. Sorry for any confusion.

Edited by Dudz

Oh...so I picked up one of those ESP LTD deluxe EC 1000 guitars...the one with the floyd...late christmas present for me(I bought it the day after christmas...

So I would guess ya'll may be interested on the scoop on it...

Well...it is a very well made guitar(korea)...believe it or not...all of the binding and inlays are quite good...about on par with a USA jackson...it has a great sound and the playability is superb..

Here is what you must plan on fixing to make it a top knotch guitar...

The body is quite thin and the neck is 24 fret...and you have great access to the 22 fret...and passable to 24...much better than a les paul....on par with a Jackson soloist...but this weight distribution makes the guitar a neck dive risk...so ESP SHOULD have put on extremely light headstock tuners and tried to make the body a few oz heavier...but here is how you fix what they did..

the Gotoh 7102 CB tuners are 6.11 ounces(the big ass ones that come on the guitar are nearly 10 ounces at a guess...big ass locking tuners that you don't need because of the locking nut.)...they are at stewmac ...and elsewhere I am sure..

this

http://floydupgrades.com/index.php?main_pa...products_id=184

Is a heavy tone block for the floyd...it will make the body a bit heavier in the right place...the tone block included with the guitar is a 32mm...but it is almost too short....you need a 37

The strap button...I installed a new one behind the neck (like on an explorer) and now mine balances perfectly.

The guitar is thin and sleek as hell...much more so than a true LP...so I think it is worth it...I bet the ESP standard ec series is already balanced...because they already have lighter tuners and more body weight because of the lack of a floyd rout....

I played the regular ec version without the floyd recently and I thought that it balances quite well and gets a good tone that worked great for alot of heavier rock and the neck pickup I really liked.

I just got a bargain on a guitar at a shop in boston. It's an 87 or 88 Ibanez saber made in japan all original hardware, electronics, and everything. It was only $300 with a setup included and it just feels better than any other guitar I've ever played and I usually prefer larger bodies and necks but this tiny guitar is absolutely amazing. I'll be picking it up when setup is finished. The black finish has a couple scratches but they are minor and it is still a great deal.

As for gibson type guitars one of the best les pauls I've played before was a firebrand les paul. It had a thinline walnut body that gave it a tone somewhere in between a les paul and sg. Another good one is the ibanez art series which has a few good les pauls in it at discount prices.

I got new strings on the epiphone and really does sound great now. Unfortunately my regular guitar shop was out of bone nuts and saddles, all they had was plastic so I'll be getting those later.

It's an 87 or 88 Ibanez saber made in japan all original hardware, electronics, and everything. It was only $300 with a setup included and it just feels better than any other guitar I've ever played and I usually prefer larger bodies and necks but this tiny guitar is absolutely amazing.

I have a 93 saber h/s/s setup...it is indeed a very nice guitar which will serve you well for ANYTHING...perhaps the most versatile guitar ever produced...

I replaced the stock pickups on mine with EMG ...but other than that it is original as well...though it does need a fret job.