Superstrat

Kenny

picture301zw9.jpg

picture302fz9.jpg

picture303dh0.jpg

picture305vn2.jpg

this is one of the projects i have going ATM; i have a top secret one ill post when its completed, but this is one thats nearing completion

All wenge detail (including but not limited to: TR cover, Fretboard, Scarf and Neck laminations, Kaye inlay, bridge (not including base plate), and knobs)

hond. mahogany body and neck.

Sherman style neckjoint; Sorbera/Pederson scarf detail

i apologize for the messy room! its been raining (i don't know what that has to do with it) and ive been very lethargic im thinking about just a tru-oil finish nothing fancy

what do you guys think?

Kenny

Also looking great, Kenny, and nice work on the laminations. They look sharp! Let's get us some more pics, eh?

I vote a 'go' on an oil finish. Simo's latest work is pretty inspiring on that front. I think you could retool your headstock to a nice looking 4x2 for more SS-styled builds like this one.

Guitar looks great...I love the neck detail...makes the body look a little plain though...I'd kind of like to see the neck stripe go through in some way perhaps or some other detail in the body, but maybe the finish will bring out something special.

Otherwise...this is so not a strat, super or otherwise. Ok, it has two horns...but 6 in line or 4x2 at least would give a nod in that direction...dual HB's, set neck, no trem angled headstock...virtually every "strat" feature has been removed...more like a stratish PRS perhaps...so, nice guitar but some other kind of labeling might be in order...I was honestly kind of disappointed when I opened the thread hoping to see something super and straty...something you don't see that often anymore...

pete

It's ok...super strats are as eighties as Top Gun anyway.... :D

Looks great!

I dunno about the super strat characterization - maybe that's true for the kind of "pointy-horned" strat body like Kenny is using. But sound-wise, I'm coming around to the idea of having the versatility of either a humbucker or a single coil (split) in the bridge position of a 3-pickup strat. In a lot of the music I play, I don't find myself using a neck-position humbucker hardly at all, but I do find myself sometimes wanting a bit more output than you typically get from a standard 3-SC strat.

Kenny's is a different beast altogether though - I'll predict a fairly rounded LP-style tone sort of like the all-mahogany 50s LP customs. Like an LP masquerading as a super strat.

Go Tru Oil - with the gloss knocked down, I think you'll like it.

That is a great guitar, as usual Kenny. Though to me the lower bout seems more SG than anything, but that's just me. I think Tru-oil would look great on that. I did on a bass a couple months ago and love it.

i guess i should rename the thread "les paul in disguise" :-p i think tru oil is the concensus (and least expensive option!) i havent had much time to really do a lot of work though (even though i just need to make the bridge and route cavities then its ready for finishing) ive been busy on another commissioned work

ill post more when i get some more done! and thanks for the feedback guys!

i dont remember how thick the original peice on the Sol build i did was that i used to scarf, however the veneer was about 1/8" the final headstock thickness was 14mm

on this build since i did a "reversed" scarf the peice i used was 2 inches, that set the scarf further into the neck, and allowed me to do a larger volute

Edited by Kenny

You could tint some grain filler to make it nice and dark before you TO it. Might add a good dimension to the lighter wood color. If not, I would do a thicker coat to even out the pores. Unless you want the pores showing (but I don't think you do, since you asked the question).

Thanks for the scarf info!

You could tint some grain filler to make it nice and dark before you TO it. Might add a good dimension to the lighter wood color. If not, I would do a thicker coat to even out the pores. Unless you want the pores showing (but I don't think you do, since you asked the question).

Thanks for the scarf info!

hey; hope it helped man!

• 3 months later...

Hey Kenny,

this is a pretty old post by now, but my 2c on the finishing just in case you haven't done it yet is to use a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and painter's turpentine. This is what some violin makers use on the neck and it's time consuming but amazing.

You need to really drench the instrument in it to begin with, until it doesn't absorb any more. Then wipe excess and let dry. Repeat in absurdum. First cycles may take a day or two but final dry cycles will take a couple of weeks. When it doesn't seem to absorb any more, sand in the oil with down to 1200 grit wet-sanding paper.

The end result is a very deep satin finish, that will improve with age. It is also very durable. I have used it on most of my instruments with great success.

Cheers,

Ola