Practice Wood?

Noobanez

So after searching for the right neck and/or guitar I wanted, I've decided to build my own. I have most of the tools in the garage and this gives me an excuse to buy the one's I'll need. My largest concern is the actual working and shaping of the wood, so before I drop the cash on mahogny, ebony etc.. what would be some good cheap wood I can pick up and build a body and neck so I can get a good understanding of how the tools will work and my capabiities.

2nd. how do I determine what radius, scale legnth, pick up position etc are needed? I will model my work after most Ibanez standards becuase that's what I prefer to play, but can I really use and radius I want, and place the pick ups anywhere? How can I make sure intonation and tuning are going to be right.

Thanks in Advance!

Two fairly cheap woods I can think of off the top of my head are un-figured maple for a neck, poplar for a body or neck, and basswood for a body. Or if you could find some nice straight grain pine for a body. Heck, if they turn out well you could even use them for more that just practice.

Welcome. Prepare for a lot of reading. The answer to most of your second part is yes. It's your guitar, and you can do what you want. I'll say this before somebody else does - pick up Melvyn Hiscock's book on electric guitars before you get started. It's a fun book, and will help you a lot.

One thing though - you need to make sure you've got a good understanding of that intonation and tuning thing before you even try. Do some research on "scale length" to get you started.

Welcome. Prepare for a lot of reading. The answer to most of your second part is yes. It's your guitar, and you can do what you want. I'll say this before somebody else does - pick up Melvyn Hiscock's book on electric guitars before you get started. It's a fun book, and will help you a lot.

One thing though - you need to make sure you've got a good understanding of that intonation and tuning thing before you even try. Do some research on "scale length" to get you started.

Thanks.. I was going to ask what boook should I get.. so that takes care of that. It's amazing understanding an instrument/music is different that building it. I think I've decided to build my daughters (5 & 3) guitars first, this way they are smaller, so there is a bit less work, and if they don't sound perfect it's ok, it will make nice decorations for their room:).

I'm guessing it would be oky to use some plywood for practice, (except the fretboard = rosewood or similar). or is the cost similar for poplar or pine as foil1more suggested?

Poplar is inexpensive. I'd choose that as practice material over plywood any day. And as was mentioned, unfigured maple would be great for a practice neck (or any neck, really). You might even be able to find some suitable maple for a neck at Home Depot. (They carry it in some locations, but not all.)

+1 on Melvyn's book. It's a must-read.

Look on stewmac.com for a bridge placement calculator (click on Free Information).

I'll add another vote for poplar or basswood. If you have a lumber mill near by, they are cheaper than pine a lot of times, and nice to work with. Both have been used for thousands of guitars by major manufacturers, so if it turn out good, you'll have your first gutiar done already. Maple for the neck is cheap enough. Purple heart and bloodwood can be used for the fretboard, and I can usually find those cheaper than any of the rosewoods.

Thanks.. I was going to ask what boook should I get.. so that takes care of that. It's amazing understanding an instrument/music is different that building it. I think I've decided to build my daughters (5 & 3) guitars first, this way they are smaller, so there is a bit less work, and if they don't sound perfect it's ok, it will make nice decorations for their room:).

I'm guessing it would be oky to use some plywood for practice, (except the fretboard = rosewood or similar). or is the cost similar for poplar or pine as foil1more suggested?

You'll enjoy the book. We've all read it. Also, there's no reason you can't make the guitar sound in tune, provided you do your research (i.e. read the book). As others have said, it's worth finding a straight piece of maple for your neck. You're looking at a wood investment of probably about five bucks, if you find the right sized piece. Maple's pretty cheap.

Make sure you update everyone on your progress, and take lots of pictures!

Edited by dpm99

Definitely check around and see if you have a hardwood dealer local, you can get nice 8/4 poplar for dirt cheap.

Thanks for all the advice guys.. I read up on scale legnth, for the kids I'm good probably use a 20.7 (maybe a 22.5) but I think I'll have to measure the frets manually, can't seem to find templates that small.... I'm ording the book from half.com now, and I've asked some locals about locations for wood, and I'm looking on-line, but what the 8/4, 4/4 etc????

Also what's the least expesive way for me to paint the bodies? I have a compressor (Dewalt for Nail/Staple guns) but I don't know if it's worth it for me to fork out cash for a sprayer, wondering if there is acceptable aresol alternatives.

Thanks for all the help.. you guys rock, I'll keep you posted as I get everything started... working on the designs now..

Definitely check around and see if you have a hardwood dealer local, you can get nice 8/4 poplar for dirt cheap.

Thanks for all the advice guys.. I read up on scale legnth, for the kids I'm good probably use a 20.7 (maybe a 22.5) but I think I'll have to measure the frets manually, can't seem to find templates that small.... I'm ording the book from half.com now, and I've asked some locals about locations for wood, and I'm looking on-line, but what the 8/4, 4/4 etc????

Also what's the least expesive way for me to paint the bodies? I have a compressor (Dewalt for Nail/Staple guns) but I don't know if it's worth it for me to fork out cash for a sprayer, wondering if there is acceptable aresol alternatives.

Thanks for all the help.. you guys rock, I'll keep you posted as I get everything started... working on the designs now..

You'll want to visit www.stewmac.com. BTW, sprayers aren't that much cash, but, Stewmac has a spray can kit for finishing, which appears perfect for what you're wanting to do right now.

I'm working a second practice body right now (shop decorations), before I splurge on good wood to build basically an Ibanez style JEM. I've been utilizing salvaged necks thus far, but will do the whole deal one fine day, probably a neck through. Got the neck for the JEM.

Welcome to the board. You'll want to do an exhaustive search/perusal on this board. This is an amazing board, full of talented individuals. I have aquired a small library of plans through this board that I can print through my local reprographics vendor in 100% size on 60+ or better paper stock. Reasonable price.

:D

Check out ReRanch for spray cans. It is nitrocellulose lacquer, but really nice stuff.

As Rick said 8/4 and such is how they measure the lumber. They cut the raw logs roughly to that size. But due to shrinking during the drying process they may wind up thinner. Some mills are good at cutting a little thick so you get the final wood true to size, others not so much.

Check out ReRanch for spray cans. It is nitrocellulose lacquer, but really nice stuff.

As Rick said 8/4 and such is how they measure the lumber. They cut the raw logs roughly to that size. But due to shrinking during the drying process they may wind up thinner. Some mills are good at cutting a little thick so you get the final wood true to size, others not so much.

Ahh that makes sense.....

Thanks again.. stoped by Lowes at lunch, they have a sprayer for $40... and Poplar sheets too... $26 for about 15"x 6'or7'

I just noticed you are in central Pa. How far are you from Reading? If that is not too bad I know of a good lumber mill a little north of Reading. Only down side is they move poplar really quickly. Even the 8/4 stuff, which will be easier than gluing two piece of 1" together. Plus the Lowes and Home Depot stuff has a tendancy to not be fully dried which leads to warping and twisting. I have never gotten a bad piece of wood from this mill. If they are out of poplar at the time, they also have basswood which is about the same price, just a little softer. But if basswood is good enough for major brand guitars, it's good enough for me.

I just noticed you are in central Pa. How far are you from Reading? If that is not too bad I know of a good lumber mill a little north of Reading. Only down side is they move poplar really quickly. Even the 8/4 stuff, which will be easier than gluing two piece of 1" together. Plus the Lowes and Home Depot stuff has a tendancy to not be fully dried which leads to warping and twisting. I have never gotten a bad piece of wood from this mill. If they are out of poplar at the time, they also have basswood which is about the same price, just a little softer. But if basswood is good enough for major brand guitars, it's good enough for me.

I'm between Harrisburg and York, probably 45min from Reading.. let me know where the place is, and a number I'll give them a call before I come out there. Thanks, I'd definatly prefer not gluing 2 pieces together, I was hoping to find some that size.