Some Tool Questions..

Noobanez

So I have a miter saw (Dewalt), I'm getting a table router... I'm wondering can I just use the Miter Saw to make the big major cuts on the body and then use a bandsaw, jigsaw, or even just route closer to the body? Or is the miter saw going to be 'too tough' on the wood or glue?

2nd - Clamps? Every video I see uses those little clamps with the balls on the end, and put 100 clamps every inch of the body.. so is there a reason I shouldn't use the c-clamps I have, and is it really necessary to use so many?

Yeah just use the bandsaw for the body.

If you still have a choice I would strongly suggest not buying a router table if it's one of those benchtop ones. You can easily make one out of a piece of plywood or build one into a workbench a piece of scrap wood is just as good for a fence. This way you have a lot more support for the project your working on and it's just nicer to use. I have used the benchtop ones and can't stand them especially when one can be made for so cheap.

You want a lot of clamps a couple bar clamps are great c-clamps can be very useful and 3 or 4 pipe clamps for clamping up bodies you could also use big bar clamps for that. When you glue on a top you just need tons of clamps and then a heavy weight in the middle. C-clamps would be fine if you have enough you can also make some out of some scrap wood bolts and wing nuts if you don't have enough.

I've been using "bowclamp" (<-link) cauls lately. Works great for a lot of the clamping tasks we do in electric guitar building. Two bowclamp cauls and two clamps let me glue up a long two-piece body. I used them with a thick backing board to laminate veneers with a lot of success, too. I haven't tried it with fingerboards, but I bet putting a radius block between the bowclamp and the neck, it'd work well.

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I"m buying a bandsaw and a router.. I was orginally looking at a router that was a 'combo' came with a table and detached for hand use as well, sounds like the consensus here is to spend a bit more and get a better hand router and just make my own table for it...

The book should be here this week, then it's off to the hardware store and lumber yard...

Thanks for the help guys, looks like I"m buying a bandsaw and a router.. I was orginally looking at a router that was a 'combo' came with a table and detached for hand use as well, sounds like the consensus here is to spend a bit more and get a better hand router and just make my own table for it...

The book should be here this week, then it's off to the hardware store and lumber yard...

Go here

http://www.tylertool.com/januaryclearance.html

Here's the coupon code.....tt010909

They have a Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP for $124 with two bases. I got the Bosch JS5 5.7 Amp Orbital for $63 today

Steve

It's nice if you get a router with 2 bases that way the fixed base can stay in the table and the plunge base can be used for hand routing, that's what I do and it makes it very fast to switch over. I have the hitachi router set and it's great, the variable speed feature is really useful.

"They have a Milwaukee 2 1/4 HP for $124 with two bases."

Hey Godzilla,

What model was that? I can't find it on their site. I see one matching the description, but it's more than that and they say the coupon code doesn't apply to that one.

Thanks!

Gavin

They may have sold out of them.....that link is not displaying the same page now.

I'm not sure what model it was.

Steve

I have that 2 1/4 hp set from Milwaukee and love it. The coupon with that one was for $10. I don't think they meant to sell it for $124, but if they set that up, you should have bought a few and resold them!

I saw what I think is that same Milwaukee set today at Home Depot for $130-$140. The guy said they'd been sent 46 of 'em for some reason, so they were blowing them out. This was in Marina del Rey, CA.