Ipe For Guitar Neck?

Ipe is supposed to be very stable so I think it would be fine....but I would not use it because of the weight.

If the body were of a heavier wood, I don't think there'd be an issue. Even still, do you really think a heavy-wood neck would imbalance a tele that much? I'm not completely sold that it would. :D

I would not use it because of the weight....because I like my guitar necks to be light...just like I like the entire guitar to be light.You should not assume I meant balance. :D

All of you guys using those heavy woods for your guitars will regret it I think...a guitar should be a pleasure to strap on...not a burden...

I have heard it all before..."Oh I am a big guy I can handle it"...trust me...you can't...not over time.

A guy on another forum made a bass neck from solid Ipe. He said carving was very difficult, and that the final neck was impossible to adjust.

hmmm....buzzkill.

I wasn't so worried about the shaping as the sound. But I also do want it to be adjustable. It is a beautiful wood when wetted. I guess I'll either revert to maple or do something else. Thanks.

BTW Ipe splinters really hurt.....and I've had lots of splinters over the years.

Edited to add:

I did see on another board that it seems to make decent fingerboard material.

Edited by jlazaro317

I guess as I work with numerous Ironwoods should comment on this!

Ironwood necks can work no problems as long as you firstly use a decent truss rod - something like the StewMac Hot Rod - and secondly you profile the neck slim - this is something in my opinion which makes Ironwoods very suitable for a neck given their strength you can take a neck profile very slim and retain the strength which other woods can't. I've made test necks from Xylia Xylocarpa which is an Ironwood usually know by the trade name of Pyinkado and once profiled and a truss rod pocket routed it could be flexed by hand (minus fretboard that is). Pyinkado's density is around the 900kg/m3 mark whereas IPE is around the 1000kg/m3 so IPE is slightly denser.

The other local Ironwoods which I have yet to test are Malabar Ironwood and Heavy Hopea (nearly 1000kg/m3 also) - however the Malabar Ironwood I'd steer a wide berth of due to it having massive shrinkage! Heavy Hopea however is on the list of to do for both necks and bodies.

I cannot comment on the tonal quality of the Pyinkado necks as in the end I didn't use them however it makes and excellent sounding body and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be good for necks - I would imagine the same for IPE and Lignum Vitae for that matter.

One thing I can agree with you highly on is ironwood splinters hurt like a b*stard - they nearly always penetrate deep!

I guess as I work with numerous Ironwoods should comment on this!

Ironwood necks can work no problems as long as you firstly use a decent truss rod - something like the StewMac Hot Rod - and secondly you profile the neck slim - this is something in my opinion which makes Ironwoods very suitable for a neck given their strength you can take a neck profile very slim and retain the strength which other woods can't. I've made test necks from Xylia Xylocarpa which is an Ironwood usually know by the trade name of Pyinkado and once profiled and a truss rod pocket routed it could be flexed by hand (minus fretboard that is). Pyinkado's density is around the 900kg/m3 mark whereas IPE is around the 1000kg/m3 so IPE is slightly denser.

The other local Ironwoods which I have yet to test are Malabar Ironwood and Heavy Hopea (nearly 1000kg/m3 also) - however the Malabar Ironwood I'd steer a wide berth of due to it having massive shrinkage! Heavy Hopea however is on the list of to do for both necks and bodies.

I cannot comment on the tonal quality of the Pyinkado necks as in the end I didn't use them however it makes and excellent sounding body and I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be good for necks - I would imagine the same for IPE and Lignum Vitae for that matter.

One thing I can agree with you highly on is ironwood splinters hurt like a b*stard - they nearly always penetrate deep!

Thanks for the reply. I may go ahead and give it a whirl then. I was planning on a thin neck. I'm nut much for thick chunky necks. I was planning on the SM Hot Rod as it stood. Maybe I'll build 2 necks concurrently in case the Ipe doesn't work out. Thanks for the encouragement.