Combustability Of Tru Oil

Dylanwad

I'm a bit worried about the combustability of Tru Oil. I have a few questions.

1) What exactly sets it off?

2) How should I store it?

3) How do I dispose of the rags?

4) Doesn't sanding heat it up and make it likely to ignite?

5) Anything else I should take into consideration?

I may be bit paranoid but I'd rather that than die in a fire! :D

You can also hang the used rags on a fence or a clothes line or something. The idea is to have them as open as possible. As the soaked in oil dries through oxidization it creates heat. A ball or pile of rags does not allow the heat to dissipate. Hanging them open will allow maximum surface area to disipate heat. Once dry, just through them out.

You can also hang the used rags on a fence or a clothes line or something. The idea is to have them as open as possible. As the soaked in oil dries through oxidization it creates heat. A ball or pile of rags does not allow the heat to dissipate. Hanging them open will allow maximum surface area to disipate heat. Once dry, just through them out.

That's what I do. Another way to sleep soundly would be to just take them out to the driveway and burn them.

I dont know how much different linseed oil is from tru oil, but puttting them out in the sun is what has caused my rags of linseed to explode.

I dont know how much different linseed oil is from tru oil, but puttting them out in the sun is what has caused my rags of linseed to explode.

I picked it up from reading several finishing books and can say I have never had it happen, but I have not done it with boiled linseed either. I have only been using danish oil (which is not a true oil anyway) and pure tung oil. When you put them out in the sun, how are you arranging them? I always hang them over a chain link fence which allows maximum surface area and very good air flow, which might help. Either way I always do it on the fence that is away from everything else, in the off chance that they would combust.