Seven-string 26-3/4" Scale Ibanez Sabre

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dry fit of the hardware:

s7_8.jpg

Am expecting some gold Schaller straplock buttons any day, plus some gold Evo fretwire (largest size). The back of the neck needs a little fine tuning in terms of the profile and blending at the base of the heel otherwise it's all good. Kind of wondering whether to go for a different bobbin colour on the pickup. Do Bareknuckle make seven string pickups with gold covers?

<edit: aaargh - black open coil only....>

Edited by Prostheta

Okay, cool. Cream bobbins it is then.

For reference, the body is not painted yet - that is actually a black primer guide coat which i'm using to reveal any irregularities in the surface, which is important given that the original pickup and trem cavities were infilled and epoxied around. Going to concentrate on the neck first of all, so I can put "that bit" to bed.

no one makes covers for 7 string pickups... at least not metal ones... you can get emg covers, but thats about it...

If anyone could/would make them,it would be this guy...

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/

He is Budman68 on this forum...I have ordered from him time to time...he is a great guy and makes quality products.If you email him with an idea he will tell you if he can do it or not.

He made me phenolic 707 rings for a V a while back.

no one makes covers for 7 string pickups... at least not metal ones... you can get emg covers, but thats about it...

If anyone could/would make them,it would be this guy...

http://www.fretsonthenet.net/

He is Budman68 on this forum...I have ordered from him time to time...he is a great guy and makes quality products.If you email him with an idea he will tell you if he can do it or not.

He made me phenolic 707 rings for a V a while back.

I want to say someone on sevenstring.org contacted him about it at one point, but I'm not certain. I figure someone who's good with a MIG welder could make some out of some thin steel, and have them chrome or gold dipped, but so far no one has stepped forward to do it. If I had a Mig welder, I'd certainly try!

I figure someone who's good with a MIG welder could make some out of some thin steel, and have them chrome or gold dipped, but so far no one has stepped forward to do it. If I had a Mig welder, I'd certainly try!

If you use steel, make sure you go with stainless. You don't want something ferromagnetic as your pickup cover. Stainless was actually Seth Lover's first choice for pickup cover when he was designing pickups for Gibson, I've heard. ( No idea if it's true ) The pickup maker guys swear by nickel-silver. Brass works, but muddies the sound a bit. Aluminum would be doable as well.

Traditional humbucker covers are deep-drawn stamped metal. Might be worth talking to companies who do that sort of thing; while setting up a custom run is pricey, (although I suppose if you wanted to offer seven-string covers to the guitar market it might be a worthwhile investment?) but they have an off-the shelf size that could be easily repurposed. I remember looking into this for another pickup project once, but never really followed up on it much. I believe I was looking at this site originally: http://www.deepdrawnenclosures.com/standar...ular_cases.html They have a number of sizes with tooling already set up, so no tooling costs. What the minimum order is, I don't know. No experience with this company, it was just recommended to me. I never got past the "thinking about it and looking at websites" stage.

I also believe theres some people that were having Thunderbird metal pickup covers made - perhaps a 7 string p'up would fit in one of those? I don't know who was doing it, but I believe the fretsonthenet guy has their contact info.

I figure someone who's good with a MIG welder could make some out of some thin steel, and have them chrome or gold dipped, but so far no one has stepped forward to do it. If I had a Mig welder, I'd certainly try!

You would be better off with TIG...but I don't think that's the way to go,really...

I also think it might be kind of weird looking if you don't use pickup rings... I guess because you always see chrome and gold pickups in rings...

I'm using a black pickup ring. Can't locate one in gold, otherwise i'd be using a "standard" black bobbin pickup.

Edited by Prostheta

Well don't go buying anything yet.I have a query in to a site I frequent about the posibility of special ordering the 707 in gold and at what cost..I will let you know the outcome...

To be honest the chrome and gold pickups excite me as well...I think a set of gold 707s would look great on a guitar I am planning.

I perceive this instrument as traditional looking, so gold EMGs without the exposed polepieces might look too contemporary. Given that i'm not ready to decide either way yet, we have a window for options nonetheless. When do you think you might have an idea from "this site"? I'll mock up the instrument to see what a cream pickup will look like tomorrow to test the water.

Edited by Prostheta