Power Planer?

Boocan

I mean planer. They have blades in them, like a hand held jointer. I'm just wondering if they are truly accurate/ would be good for building guitars with. Jointers are so damn expensive, if I could do the task with one of these handheld things, I might just try it.

Get yourself a benchtop 6" jointer will do the job that said as long as you get the blades sharpened at a professional shop since most supplied blades are as good as blunt! They're are just as cheap as a decent handheld.

I have a Makita hand held planer and with the blades professional sharpened (out of the packet even genuine Makita are only mediocre) you get a good finish - however regardless of what you do you won't get a perfectly straight edge like a jointer. You will get pretty near which if you have a true edge sanding block stick some sandpaper on and you can use to true up the edge.. :D

They are certainly not a precision tool. Unless you have to do some major hogging off of a very warped board or are plaining down doors find a good Jointer if your goal is to make glue joints.

I wouldn't recomend them for making guitars. They can't be used to joint edges like a jointer or hand plane and if you try planing anything wider than the blade then it leaves these little 1mm steps.

The only thing i did use it for with success was rough carving some of the top but there is better tools for that.

They are also very vicious on the end grain.

A builder tool really, better used for taking large amounts of wood off softwood floor joists (on houses).

I would definatly go for a benchtop jointer instead.

I would recommend a full size jointer over the benchtop models. My short experience with a benchtop planer was not so pleasant. one of those small aluminum table Deltas. The tables were not true and it just couldn't joint an edge strait enough for a glue up. That said, there may be a better model or a cast iron model, but then the portability thing is moot.

If you have the room, a good full size jointer is a pleasure to use. I ended up finding a sweet older, 1960's model, Craftsman on Craigs list for $125.

Sure if you can firstly find a full size jointer for that kind of money and secondly have space for it then yes that is obviously the preferable choice over a benchtop. However for the money 'some' benchtop jointer are ok - like I said first as long as you get your blades professional sharpened, unless you have a sharpening system that is, as said if you're look at benchtop look at one with cast tables far stronger and truer than any alloy ones.

I build about one guitar a year.So yeah...once a year.

Fair enough! :D

I don't think mines stop working since I got it . . . furniture as well as guitars . . . :D

I have to say though jointers are a royal pain in the butt to get the blades absolutely level normal takes me about 4 or 5 attempts (and numerous expletives!)

Small jointers and planers just plane suck, period. I did custom cabinet work for years, and I wouldn't let most of the little garage montsters anywhere near my guitar, let alone some kitchen job. Big, professional machines are another story, and work fine if you don't mind the noise. One big problem with small machines is that they're in the workload range of a hand tool! Nothing can compare with the quality of a hand planed joint or surface, and if your tool is sharp it can actually be faster than setting up that little shop monster. A 22" jack plane can be bought from Grizzly for about fiddy bucks and it will make fast work of those edge joints on solid bodies.