Project Penalty Shot

This is a project I am going to be donating for charity. One of the associations I work for as a ice hockey referee is having a charity golf tournament with a Chinese auction. So I am enterting this as either an auction item or a hole in one prize (the tournament directors will decide which). The money we be donated to the local Special Olympics.

Specs:

Poplar Charon body style (super strat)

Walnut set neck

22 fret Rosewood Fret board with notched diamon inlays, with white binding.

Black hardware

Recessed Tune O Matic bridge

This one will be getting painted, definitely a white base coat with a colored burst (not sure of the color yet)

Danish Oil finished neck.

Here is my progress as of getting home from work today.

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

Nice job ihocky2.

Great cause too. My sister is Downs Syndrome and was trying out for the Special Olympics team over here for shotput, so best of luck with the fundraising side and look forward to seeing the guitar developing :D

Jim :D

The head is based off some ESP design. I think it is the first thing they have made that I liked. But I still tryed to tweak it to call it mine. It is hard to come up with a headstock that someone else has not done before or something similar.

I am excited to help with this charity a lot. They run sled-hockey tournaments that I love to volunteer to work, and this is something along the same lines. Sled hockey is essentially what it sounds like, it is for those with physical disabilites that can not use their legs to skate. It is great to see though, because they are just as fast as people on their legs, and in some areas, their skill level is much better than that of standard hockey players. And they are just as aggresive and physical when they can be.

I am excited to help with this charity a lot. They run sled-hockey tournaments that I love to volunteer to work, and this is something along the same lines. Sled hockey is essentially what it sounds like, it is for those with physical disabilites that can not use their legs to skate. It is great to see though, because they are just as fast as people on their legs, and in some areas, their skill level is much better than that of standard hockey players. And they are just as aggresive and physical when they can be.

Yep, that's for sure. I saw a clip of a sled hockey match between the USA and Canada.............................they were certainly aggressive! Took the officials about five minutes to split them all up! I have nothing but admiration for the disabled and handicapped that have that 'get on with it regardless attitude'. They could teach a good many 'fully abled' folk a thing or two.

:D Best I jump down off of my soap box now me thinks..................

Jim :D

Yeah they are. I wanted to do something different originally like a catseye shape inlay or something like the V on Matt Tuck's Jacksons, but couldn't quite decide. As I was going through my parts box I found a unopened pack of diamonds. This is for charity, and I want it to be good quality, but I don't want to just part with $500 either, so inlays that I don't have to buy helped narrow down the decision.

Update: Carving and cutting work is basically done. A little refinement to the body carve when I start to prep sand, but other than that and a fret dress it is done. Fret board is taped off and ready to be dressed after dinner I think. I probably won't even prep sand for a few weeks. The best days we are getting is hitting 60, so it is still too cold to spray, so no sense in prepping now, while I can work on another build.

DSC00049.jpg

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00051.jpg

DSC00052.jpg

• 1 month later...

Not much of an update, but here it is primed and ready to scuff sand before I paint. If this rain will disapear for more than a few hours, I could acutal get to painting. The primer has been sitting for 3 days already. It looks like Saturday might cooperate and Sunday should be a safe bet.

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00118.jpg

DSC00124.jpg

Thanks, I actually do like it in the primer color, and may have to play with something like that one day.

The last two I built I've been cutting the lip for the cover after the first bodying coat of clear. With a sharp bit I have not had a single chip or tear since it is such a light cut. I level sand after I route, so any scuffs left by the template are removed. When I do it earlier, I find too much paint and clear build up on the lip and the cover doesn't sit well.