Paw Jem Build & First Neck

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOVE IT! Question about the pickguard - I know in the beginning you said you made it? What did you cut it with??? Did you go with Lexan or Plexi? Other than the reverse headstock Iw ould think it was an original!

Question about your templates - who's did you use to base yours off of? I have a set of JEM777 from guitarbuildingtemplates.com.

thanks guys

LOVE IT! Question about the pickguard - I know in the beginning you said you made it? What did you cut it with??? Did you go with Lexan or Plexi? Other than the reverse headstock Iw ould think it was an original!

Question about your templates - who's did you use to base yours off of? I have a set of JEM777 from guitarbuildingtemplates.com.

Reamer, I just had a look & all it says on the sheet is clear polystyrene. 1st attempt didn't got too well, so bought a new router bit (ie a sharp one) set it on the slowest speed & it made little shaving just like mahogany.

I made the templates from a body I that Jaden on here made

Hey Andy how did the 2k clear build up ? did you have to put on lots of coats ?? I have just bought some 2K clear that I will be using but only with a gun and compressor so will report back on my findings. I was looking at the same 2K stuff that you used but found it more economical to go the spraygun rout as I refinish quite a few guitars but have know switched to 2K stuff the nitro and lacquer stuff just gives me to many problems. That is a nice build bro and gotta love the reverse head always a winner in my book. Just a quick question and that is what did you use to seal the body with ie holes routs etc when you did the swirl as water is deadly once it starts to get in the wood as it swells and causes lots and lots of problems just picking your brain bro CHEERS!

Oh man, what a dog! You can't build guitars for toffee, Andy...yuk! :D

WOW! It's abso-frickin'-luterly luvverly!

Where'd you find the Edge? Are those DiMarzio's from Jaden?

And, of course, have you :D'd it yet???

Somebody get me paper towel......I'm drooling here........

DJ

cheers DJ, yeh I was lucky Jaden had some 2nd hand dimarzios - I hate paying more for pickups than the rest of the guitar costs. They are breeds, which I've never tried before so figured I'd give them a go. I buy most of my trems from the US ebay guys who split up ibanez.

Hey Andy how did the 2k clear build up ? did you have to put on lots of coats ?? I have just bought some 2K clear that I will be using but only with a gun and compressor so will report back on my findings. I was looking at the same 2K stuff that you used but found it more economical to go the spraygun rout as I refinish quite a few guitars but have know switched to 2K stuff the nitro and lacquer stuff just gives me to many problems. That is a nice build bro and gotta love the reverse head always a winner in my book. Just a quick question and that is what did you use to seal the body with ie holes routs etc when you did the swirl as water is deadly once it starts to get in the wood as it swells and causes lots and lots of problems just picking your brain bro CHEERS!

2k was good, got 4 coats out of one can. Sealing -believe it or not all I did was give it a can of white primer which is the base to the swirl, but didn't drill any holes until after it was swirled

Well megapixels don't really mean anything relevant to the quality of the photos, they're just a selling point. 3-5MP is all you'd ever need. More important are the adjustments available so that you can take a good picture with correct colors and the amount of noise that's introduced into the picture.

Digital cameras are still nowhere near 35mm film in terms of quality, but they are easy to use and you don't waste all that film.

For the most part, all the noise problems are corrected in the higher end SLRs, but as far as the consumer digitals go which are supposed to be higher end (anything Canon under $500 for example) you're wasting your money for a bunch of bells and whistles that don't produce results.

My favorite camera is my Canon EOS650. Its a 35mm, full manual functions and- I'm thread hijacking... *stops*

I hate taking photos of any of my instruments in anything other than daylight on the basis that my mju-1000 doesn't like artificial light very much.

So what's next Andy? A Sabre? :D

I did a sabre style as one of my first cut & shuts. Made it from an alder strat body but didn't thin the edges quite as much as I thought it would be too light. Sounds 80's metal with a duncan full shred in it :D

gmc6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Just a wee heads-up to anyone interested in something similar:

This is the same kit andyt used on this build, I remember asking him about it earlier in this topic.

The kit for the inlays and fingerboard are now on half-price blow-out from the guy's eBay store:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLOWOUT-SALE-FRETBOA...93%3A1|294%3A30

He has a few on sale there. £35 delivered to UK, for inlays and 'board. Just ordered one myself! :D

DJ

Just a wee heads-up to anyone interested in something similar:

This is the same kit andyt used on this build, I remember asking him about it earlier in this topic.

The kit for the inlays and fingerboard are now on half-price blow-out from the guy's eBay store:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLOWOUT-SALE-FRETBOA...93%3A1|294%3A30

He has a few on sale there. £35 delivered to UK, for inlays and 'board. Just ordered one myself! :D

DJ

cheers DJ just bought one, as I've got a spare flame neck blank that was the free replacement for the warped one I used on this build

Not done much recently, been playing - but reswirled my GMC build last week

gmc1-1.jpg

Sweet work as usual Andy! You really have the whole 80's/90's Vai vibe down brutha! :D

More pics of the nu-look GMC please!

Are those mirror inlays in it?

And would that be some of that nice green signwriters enamel from the PAW swirl that you've used to re-swirl it?

What next from the Ibanez back catalogue I wonder?? :D

DJ

Andy - hats off to you for the 2K recommendation....it went a dream over the Plasticote black on my 7-string, and the next day it was good to level. Crazy! I'm down for another two cans so I can complete the neck, and clear my white Explorer also :D