Preparing Neck

I did some research for you...here is what little I found

the question was asked "how did you relic that neck?"(asked of butnut)

Hey Ace. I used a lacquer 'toner' spray...very much like RR neck amber. It's yellowish and I used a medium brown toner over that to darken up the yellow. Shot nitro and used my Xacto to scrape off the 'fret wear', using a light and medium wood 'touch up pen, I darkened the scraped areas. All hardware was aged using ferous chloride.

Canuk, a lot of Tele players like the 'suicide' switch....makes it easy to do volume swells with your pinky. All original Esquires and RI Tele's come wired with the 3 way...the positions are tone pot in, tone pot out, and a 'bass' setting through a resistor...slight differences in tone. I was gonna make a 2 knob plate, but I kinda like the 3way now.

well this is a squier 51 which is a popular guitar to mod (my first attempt at modding). all i want to do is age it a little just to get a little darker color. i don't care if it's perfect i just want it to look good to the average person. so you think i could use shoe polish over the finish and then seal it?

I did some research for you...here is what little I found

the question was asked "how did you relic that neck?"(asked of butnut)

Hey Ace. I used a lacquer 'toner' spray...very much like RR neck amber. It's yellowish and I used a medium brown toner over that to darken up the yellow. Shot nitro and used my Xacto to scrape off the 'fret wear', using a light and medium wood 'touch up pen, I darkened the scraped areas. All hardware was aged using ferous chloride.

Canuk, a lot of Tele players like the 'suicide' switch....makes it easy to do volume swells with your pinky. All original Esquires and RI Tele's come wired with the 3 way...the positions are tone pot in, tone pot out, and a 'bass' setting through a resistor...slight differences in tone. I was gonna make a 2 knob plate, but I kinda like the 3way now.

good info

No I doubt it...I would research relicing on google and such...I refreshed my memory with some past topics and the shoe polish I believe was mostly used on pickgaurds and such...

but I know nobody ever cleared over it...some guys said they took steel wool to it...

relicing is tough...it's an art,so research before you just start sanding away..

No I doubt it...I would research relicing on google and such...I refreshed my memory with some past topics and the shoe polish I believe was mostly used on pickgaurds and such...

but I know nobody ever cleared over it...some guys said they took steel wool to it...

relicing is tough...it's an art,so research before you just start sanding away..

thanks, i'll do some more searching today.

Even shoe polish on pick guards is a waste of time. It will eventually fade from the sun or wear off from you touching it. Airbrushing some "amber'd" lacquer onto the pick guard is the best way to go. As for tinting and aging the neck. Its best to spray the toned lacquer onto the neck rather rubbing concentrated stain. After all the sun is what changed the color of the clear coat. The old necks were never "orange" from the beginning, time did that to them. After your neck is sprayed you can mark the spots in between the strings and gently use a dremel with a wire wheel on it to wear through the paint. The fast way to make it look old is to mix up some sort of stain that mimics a dirty fingerboard. Or you can wait and let the natural oil and finger gunk wear into the exposed wood, but that could take a while.

I disagree with the concept of adding something during an artificial relicing exercise, unless that something is what would collect over time (bottles of fermented sweat and gunk would sell well here). I think a good relic should have the natural processes accelerated as opposed to mimicked by unnatural processes like amber clearing. I guess it depends on whether you want a "real" relic or a faux-relic.