Routing For Truss Rod With A Flat Headstock.

I am still in my design mode for a build I would like to start in the near future. It is going to be strat like to help reduce some of the more complicated angle measurments and such. It will also have a flat headstock. The book that I have describes in detail how to rout for a heel access truss rod, but I would like to have access at the headstock. Is there anything special I would need to do to rout for this channel? Can I just carry the rout out into the headstock area?

If you're using a single action trussrod you need a very thick washer set in about 35mm from the nut (that the strings go over, not the trussrod nut)

Fender use about 3/8 but I used 1/2 inch. You can tell what size it is by measuring the timber filler that surrounds the trussrod bullet-nut

Edited by Crusader

If you're using a single action trussrod you need a very thick washer set in about 35mm from the nut (that the strings go over, not the trussrod nut)

Fender use about 3/8 but I used 1/2 inch. You can tell what size it is by measuring the timber filler that surrounds the trussrod bullet-nut

I don't quite understand what you mean? Do you have a picture? Would a dual action rod be different? The easier the better!!!

Thanks.

From an old tutorial I remember, prior to carving the scoop that you see on flat headstocks, he drilled a hole that led into the truss rod channel, so instead of routing through to the headstock, he stopped an inch or two before the end of where the fretboard would be, then cut away some of the wood that would be carved during the scoop carve and drilled the hole for the truss rod. I think it'll depend on the type of adjustment the truss rod requires, if it has a small head and allen wrench adjustment then you could probably do something similar, if not you might just have to route out as you suggested. I can't recall exactly which tutorial it was, but I'm thinking it was Guitar Frenzys tutorial does anyone know if we still have that somewhere. If I find it, I'll link it. Best of luck. J

EDIT: I found it, Guitar Frenzy Strat Tut

That link should help you out with most of your question for your build at the end of page 2 and the beginning of page 3 is where you can see how he worked this problem as I described above. Its your choice on how you procede, but I just wanted to show you that tutorial. Best of luck. J

Edited by jmrentis

From an old tutorial I remember, prior to carving the scoop that you see on flat headstocks, he drilled a hole that led into the truss rod channel, so instead of routing through to the headstock, he stopped an inch or two before the end of where the fretboard would be, then cut away some of the wood that would be carved during the scoop carve and drilled the hole for the truss rod. I think it'll depend on the type of adjustment the truss rod requires, if it has a small head and allen wrench adjustment then you could probably do something similar, if not you might just have to route out as you suggested. I can't recall exactly which tutorial it was, but I'm thinking it was Guitar Frenzys tutorial does anyone know if we still have that somewhere. If I find it, I'll link it. Best of luck. J

EDIT: I found it, Guitar Frenzy Strat Tut

That link should help you out with most of your question for your build at the end of page 2 and the beginning of page 3 is where you can see how he worked this problem as I described above. Its your choice on how you procede, but I just wanted to show you that tutorial. Best of luck. J

That is perfect! I never would have thought to do that. I think that would look much cleaner than routing straight through, also add more resistance.

Now, hopefully this will be my second of thousands more questions...JK...are all truss rods the same length? If I am going for a 25.5 scale?