Purpleheart V

I've been working on a new project. It's some kind of hollow body V? Not quite too sure what possessed me to build it. It probably won't sound very good or even play very well, but at very least it'll look nice (i hope) :D

I've never seen anything like it (probably because it won't work well lol) so maybe that's why I gave it a go.

Anyway, it's my first time doing anything of this nature so go easy on me. :D

body

fingerboard/binding

neck back

Headstock back

back(alcohol applied to show figure)

yeah... i'd have just used the image tag thing so you didn't have to do any work to see the pictures but i didn't feel like resizing the images after i had posted them. sorry about that.

This is a neat idea. Love to see what comes of it.

It's hard to tell in the photo, but some of the joinery on the body frame looks a little suspect to me.

Like the laminated neck a lot.

+1 to the joinery question. There are some big gaps in there that shouldn't be.

I'd be concerned with major neck dive - not enough body weight to keep it in place.

All that being said, i really like the idea. I'm doing something very similar myself, but with a different shape.

Yeah unfortunately a lot of the joinery didn't come out quite as well as i would've liked... well in the body at least. Surprisingly, having the thing neck dive doesn't seem to be too big of an issue yet, but I also have to take out a substantial amount of wood for the neck heel. We'll just have to wait and see.

I really had no idea what I was going to do as far as a bridge. The top will just be purpleheart; no center strip like the back. I was going to cut a sound hole and see if that works out well, then go and add electronics depending on how it goes.

Anyway, I plan on gluing up the top and adding some kind of support to the top and back in the near future, so I'll post more pics as they come.

Well, it looks like one of the miters didn't come out quite right, but you've got that support piece there. I'd think it would be fine structurally. The only issue, I'd think, would be appearance. Are you gonna leave that small gap, fill it, or what?

What bridge are you using? You need some kind of support to hold it down, the top wood will not be strong enough, and the string pull will bend the top and probably yank the bridge out of the body. I think that you can revise it to fix this problem, but you need to do a lot of research before gluing the top down!

I would be putting some bracing between your neck pocket area and whatever you are mounting your bridge on.

I made an explorer with almost the same frame layout you have going there. About a month later the neck pocket support area started to cave in toward the bridge.

I thought the 16mm ply I was using for the top and back would be strong enough, not a chance. :D