my first commission to build

i've been doing this for several years now

started out learning how to set-up, install nuts, etc on yard sale cheapies

the first one was a cort ferarri II i believe

then on to fret work

i've got stew/macs neck jig in my shop along with all the other goodies needed to do quality work

i've built & done repair work for friends & family

all of the items in my collection (strat, 2 teles, early '80's kramer baretta, epi les paul w/chambered body & f-holes....) have been bought needing something to allow them to play well for the class-room opportunity

i'm to the point i'm currently building for myself a laminated (maple/purpleheart in the neck, mahogany/maple/purpleheart in the body wings) neck through 24 fret 7 string baritone on a 30" scale length

i don't yet have all of the heavy woodworking tools needed to be productive on scratchbuilts so i'm carving it out by hand...router, files, sandpaper,etc

finally last weekend a guy, after checking the work finished & in progress on my own stuff commissioned me to build one for him

it'll be a mahogany tele with reverse rout, fixed bridge & humbuckers (yet to be decided on), strat style switching

neck will be maple w/tele headstock, boat neck profile, 1 3/4" nut width (the guy has huge hands), 6100 fretwire

quite a rush finally after all the study & head scratchin to finally have reached the level where someone is willing to pay...cool!

once i learn how to load pictures to the forum i'll post a few as it comes along

Your story is quite an inspiration to me. All I've ever done is tech work for friends, and my only payment has been beer or :D

I've been wanting to build my own for a long time now, got lots of original ideas, but I allways figured that I wouldnt make any money to justify all the work thats needed, and to cover the investment in tools and such.

I'm very happy for you, and I hope this starts up a trend for you as well!

Your story is quite an inspiration to me. All I've ever done is tech work for friends, and my only payment has been beer or :D

I've been wanting to build my own for a long time now, got lots of original ideas, but I allways figured that I wouldnt make any money to justify all the work thats needed, and to cover the investment in tools and such.

I'm very happy for you, and I hope this starts up a trend for you as well!

if it's what you want to do...set your mind to it & never settle for less

it happens slowly, that's why i still have a day job...but as your competance in your craft progresses it will happen!

if it's what you want to do...set your mind to it & never settle for less

it happens slowly, that's why i still have a day job...but as your competance in your craft progresses it will happen!

Thanks for the kind words Daddy Ray :D I definately plan on doing it as soon as I have the spare cash for power tools and enough wood to make my mistakes on. I got a space to do my building and crafting, I got the time, and best of all, I got acess to the advice and knowledge that's in this forum. I just pretty much lack the money (credit card debt) to get up and running.

I know alot of people in this forum make guitars just for fun, which I'm sure its a whole lot of fun to do. But to make money at doing something you love to do, is the dream of dreams. Second to winning the lottery anyway.

they will be at cornerstone music festival in illinois next summer

i'll have 2 of em on stage

Where's the festival? I'm in Wisconsin and it's a short hike for me to be there.

I'm going to meet with a band tonight that has a 9 stop tour this spring with Atlantic Records and see if they are willing to play one of my guitars and a bass on the tour.

:D

they will be at cornerstone music festival in illinois next summer

i'll have 2 of em on stage

Where's the festival? I'm in Wisconsin and it's a short hike for me to be there.

I'm going to meet with a band tonight that has a 9 stop tour this spring with Atlantic Records and see if they are willing to play one of my guitars and a bass on the tour.

:D

i'll get all the particulars & get back to you asap

Congrats buddy. I just sold my fifth, which also happpens to be my second commissioned job to a repeat customer. You can see this one being built in REAL TIME in my pinned thread.

"he's bringing cash before i order anything...on-going"

You mean like as you need to order materials he gives you the money? In the future I would start asking for a downpayment of at least half, more on instruments with more "goodies", and also have a reciept system of somesort so you both know and understand how much is paid/owed.

Congrats buddy. I just sold my fifth, which also happpens to be my second commissioned job to a repeat customer. You can see this one being built in REAL TIME in my pinned thread.

"he's bringing cash before i order anything...on-going"

You mean like as you need to order materials he gives you the money? In the future I would start asking for a downpayment of at least half, more on instruments with more "goodies", and also have a reciept system of somesort so you both know and understand how much is paid/owed.

no problemo on the ledger work...my lovely wife has a background in corporate management :D

B):D:D:DB)PS, Congrats!!!!!!!!! B)B)B):D:D

Yeah, why I asked.

50% up front helps weed out the 'not-so-serious-I-might-back-out-at-anytime' flakes.

They give you that much up front, non-refundable, they're serious and in it all the way.

And if it's a custom application you have the right to ask for it to cover yer butt. :D

:D  :D  :D  B)  B)PS, Congrats!!!!!!!!! B)  B)  :D  :D  B) 

Yeah, why I asked.

50% up front helps weed out the 'not-so-serious-I-might-back-out-at-anytime' flakes.

They give you that much up front, non-refundable, they're serious and in it all the way.

And if it's a custom application you have the right to ask for it to cover yer butt. :D

yer right

this one comes with excellent references due to his friendship with my son

someone not so close to the family...it's a different story

plus if he don't come back i still have his STUFF B)

Congratulations.

I work out my payments like this: assuming a $1400 guitar

Deposit = $350

1st payment after fretboard is inlayed and attached to neck blank, truss rod installed. = $250

2nd payment after body is shaped, and neck attached = $250

3rd payment after lacquer is finished = $250

4th payment after hardware is fitted, guitar buffed, and ready to ship = $300 + shipping

I find that this makes it a lot easier on the customers wallet, and it gives them the opportunity to control the speed of construction. The faster they pay, the faster their guitar is finished.

Just as a point of fun conjecture...

In our business, the payment that is always in possible jeopardy is the -last- payment.

That's the one the customer will try to either hold, bargain with, dispute, dabble with, ...whatever...

So we work out payment schedules in the contract that leave as -little- on the table as possible for the last payment.

In that $1400.00 scenario above, we would typically have a last payment of something like, maybe $100.00.

Just a business/strategy call. The more you leave in their pocket for the very end, the curtain call, the more leverage/power you give them if they feel like excercising their 'attitude muscle'.

I'm sure it's very different with guitars tho... :D

Just as a point of fun conjecture...

In our business, the payment that is always in possible jeopardy is the -last- payment.

That's the one the customer will try to either hold, bargain with, dispute, dabble with, ...whatever...

So we work out payment schedules in the contract that leave as -little- on the table as possible for the last payment.

In that $1400.00 scenario above, we would typically have a last payment of something like, maybe $100.00.

Just a business/strategy call. The more you leave in their pocket for the very end, the curtain call, the more leverage/power you give them if they feel like excercising their 'attitude muscle'.

I'm sure it's very different with guitars tho... :D

Well, most of my work so far is going to the USA, so i figure they aint getting the guitar until its been paid in full. There needs to be a level of trust between a luthier and a customer. Im happy to trust the customer, they are paying for the guitar at every stage, and paying the full amount prior to even testing it.

Same deal, close enough I guess.

You're not shipping it out without getting paid first, that was my basic point I guess.

Wow.

Just perused your site and all those great detailed pics!

I really appreciate folks who take those kind of quality construction pictures.

Most appreciated! :D

thanks to all who have responded to this point

the volume of insight provided by your individual experiences & comments are most illunimating & helpful as i consider where things might go for me from here

question: how do i get photos on the forum...i see them frequently...but can't seem to figure out what's required

i'm not up to speed on some of this computer/internet stuff yet

i have shots of several in depth projects i've done that may be of interest once i learn how to post them