Wood Combination

I'll start building a Pensa/Suhr looking guitar soon, so I need some of your opinions about wood to be used on it. I thought about putting a quilt maple top on it, but it is hard to get it where I live, so it will be flamed. Mahogany isn't avaliable here, so I thought about having walnut for body back? How it would sound in combination with flamed maple top? It would be carved top, I'll post some pics showing how it will look like app. And what neck wood do you recommend? Thanks!

pensa-suhrgallery001.jpg

pensa-suhrgallery008.jpg

The LP is mahogany/maple.

Going to Warmoth's comparison again, mahogany is about 75% warm. If you're looking for other woods to use than mahogany, take a look at korina/limba or rosewood. Considering the substantial weight and cost of rosewood, limba might be your best bet.

I know that LPs are mahogany/maple duh...

The point is, I don't want to end up with extremly bright guitar, but now I see that mahogany is 75% bright, same as walnut.

I could go for a try, walnut back, maple top, and maybe walnut neck (if I don't find suitable flamed maple for it)

I know that LPs are mahogany/maple duh...

The point is, I don't want to end up with extremly bright guitar, but now I see that mahogany is 75% bright, same as walnut.

I could go for a try, walnut back, maple top, and maybe walnut neck (if I don't find suitable flamed maple for it)

No, mahogany is around 75% warm, or 25% bright. It's the exact opposite of walnut.

You can't really go wrong with something simple like Alder, or Walnut if you prefer. And then if you use something besides maple for the neck you should wind up in the right territory.

Don't fret too much over the woods. Bring it into the right neighborhood and the pickups/scale length/strings/hardware/electronics will do the rest.

Use pickups you think will balance well with whatever wood you choose, then adjust the electronics(pot values, cap values, treble bleeds, pickup selections, etc), strings(pure nickel wound if it's too bright, steel if it's too dark, iron/nickel if it doesn't have enough attack, nickel-plated steel if it's balanced), and hardware(aluminum/steel for more attack/treble/sustain, brass for a more balanced sound) until you get the sound right. Then there's also the amp and speakers you use.

There are so many other variables that wood winds up being almost insignificant except for looks.

I'm from Bosnia and Herzegovina...you can't find anything here...(I know that you will say that we have best flamed maple for instruments, but it's being shipped in laaarge quantities to Italy, Germany, etc)

I have maple, walnut, ash, oak and beech....POOR!

If you can suggest me some combination, it doesn't have to be LP sound (well it can't), I just don't want to end up with too bright guitar. Strat would be some upper limit of brightness.

Oh, I have mdf too :D

Walnut or ash for the body, maple or walnut for the neck, maple or walnut for the fingerboard.

Both your lightest-weighing and darkest-sounding would be ash/walnut/walnut, the heaviest and brighest would be walnut/maple/maple.

For what you're aiming for I'd say ash body, walnut neck, walnut fretboard.

Edited by Keegan

I'd go with walnut for the body. It is going to be bright, but not in the terms of normal bright, not as harsh sounding. What type of ash do you have? Swamp ash is going to give more of the typical Fender type sound. But Northern or White Ash is much harder and denser and much brighter. I would even consider the oak for the body. It can be used for a neck, but is heavy and will cause neck dive issues.

I thought about putting ebony for fingerboard, but now I see that it is about 95% bright, and rosewood is much warmer, so it will be used, I will order that from stewmac or somewhere, I would order rest of wood from internet, but shipping is as twice as price of wood so...

I have light, swamp ash. I think I will go for ash/walnut/rosewood combination! With dye, I could get nice dark brown color of ash back, or even go with black. Thanks a lot guys, any other suggestions will be great! :D