Oak Neck?

well resonance will vary between different bits of oak... i think the bigger issue will be weight

Wasn't Brian May's red special oak necked??

i wouldnt bother with it but it is usable if you must

Mays guitar was made from a century old oak fireplace mantle.

I have made two neck of Oak. No problems. Resonance wary between two pieces of maple or mahogany too. No two pieces of wood will be the same. I still do not recommend oak as the pores are huge and the difference in hardness is quite big between the soft and hard parts, making a smooth carving difficult, very similar to ash (ever tried to make a smooth belly cut on a ash body...).

Mays guitar was made from a century old oak fireplace mantle.

I have made two neck of Oak. No problems. Resonance wary between two pieces of maple or mahogany too. No two pieces of wood will be the same. I still do not recommend oak as the pores are huge and the difference in hardness is quite big between the soft and hard parts, making a smooth carving difficult, very similar to ash (ever tried to make a smooth belly cut on a ash body...).

I agree with the Swed the large pores would be a pain. As far as shaping it probably would be a bit more difficult than your standard neck blank but not impossible. White oak would be a better choice than red oak, quartered rather than flat saw would also reduce the soft spots band effect in the wood.

An oak neck is also going to be heavy and cause neck dive issues.

That is not an issue on the two guitars I have made with oak necks. And one of them is a SG shaped guitar, meaning there are a shorter-than-usual upper horn (compared to a Strat or similar shaped guitars)so the issue should really be more apparent on that guitar.

yeah but... ever played a guitar with a rosewood neck or something similarly weighty. you can tell its heavier in the neck when you compare side by side with something more normal but its not often a problem