What Would Happen?

I have a flamed maple guitar with a finish that's somewhat similar. I didn't finish it, but I know how it was done: stained black, sanded back down, stained brown, sanded back down, then stained sort of a vintage yellow (then bursted).

The headstock pic is close to the real color. The body pic is kind of washed out.

97_ae18531_1.jpg97_ae18537_1.jpg

Edited by Rick500

Yes, but with burst...that's the thing I'm looking for!

So I use dark brown, sand it off, and then this gold/yellow dye?

Yes, use dark brown, or black, and sand back. Then dye with amber, yellow or whatever color you like. I suggest you work on a test peice to get the color you want before applying dye to the guitar. Now, you can dye the burst but its easier to seal in the stain with ss or clear and then spray the burst over that. This way, if you mess it up, you can sand it off without ruining the dye underneath.

Yes, but with burst...that's the thing I'm looking for!

So I use dark brown, sand it off, and then this gold/yellow dye?

Yes, use dark brown, or black, and sand back. Then dye with amber, yellow or whatever color you like. I suggest you work on a test peice to get the color you want before applying dye to the guitar. Now, you can dye the burst but its easier to seal in the stain with ss or clear and then spray the burst over that. This way, if you mess it up, you can sand it off without ruining the dye underneath.

Thanks on the tip to seal the dye, I have a feeling that I would have skipped that....thanks :D