Gimme Some Ideas

fullfront.jpg

I've pretty much decided not to put this on consignment. Instead I'll be eBay-ing the neck & body for whatever I can get out of them and keeping the parts.

With that in mind, I'd like some suggestions on what to do with the hardware. I'm pretty much open to any & all suggestions for body shape & woods. It's the blue that's making it a challenge in my mind. Matching p/g, inlays, and TRC would go a long way. I'm currently thinking along the lines of a Rickenbacker 600-series, or maybe an Iceman.

But seriously... just throw out some ideas.

Swamp ash body with a top(maple, nothing, whatever you want) dyed the same color as the blue in the pickups, with an amberish tinted clear on the back/sides. And an all-maple neck with matching inlays.

edit:

Kisekae Mockup

curiousblue.jpg

Edited by Keegan

I live the iceman but a lot depends on the neck for instance...the iceman headstock and long neck are more of a part of the design than many appreciate...the newer six in line wizard things stuck on the new ones don't do it for me.

Also...those candy coloured pickups and knobs and all that gold is only going to work on something a bit kitschy. Maybe a gretch penguin or something.

I love a white iceman...white everything and that could work with this kind of pickups and hardware perhaps...but it means doing a solid finish on both body, neck and headstock. Perhaps even a carved LP in white might work.

I'm not sure that anything will save that "blue" with "taste"...however, you might consider seeing if you could replace the blue inserts with some timber veneer for instance....not a look for an iceman, but perhaps some other kind of beast and avoiding the blue all together.

pete

Keegan: I like that. It'd have to be a 3+3 headstock, but that wouldn't look out of place on a tele.

I'm not sure that anything will save that "blue" with "taste"

That's the real problem - getting it to work with the blue.

...however, you might consider seeing if you could replace the blue inserts with some timber veneer for instance....

The pearl covers are inside the covers, which are attached to the pup bases. How would one safely detach the covers w/o dorking up the pups?

Keegan: I like that. It'd have to be a 3+3 headstock, but that wouldn't look out of place on a tele.

I'm not sure that anything will save that "blue" with "taste"

That's the real problem - getting it to work with the blue.

...however, you might consider seeing if you could replace the blue inserts with some timber veneer for instance....

The pearl covers are inside the covers, which are attached to the pup bases. How would one safely detach the covers w/o dorking up the pups?

Yeah, Kisekae just doesn't allow for a 3x3 headstock on the tele. Wasn't really set on the body shape either, just used it for the sake of demonstration.

Well...it would take dorking around obviously...and care. Generally the coils are bolted in from below as well as the pole pieces. The covers are soldered on. Solder wick will soak up the cover solder and then the poles will be holding on the blue plastic bit. Removing the poles will release the blue insert and you could use these to make a template. Thin wood, non magnetic metals, plastic, card...all could be considered...then reverse the process.

However, avoid excessive heat, be prepared for the unexpected and take care of those thin wires...but it is not that difficult if you really wanted. You might find that with a more tasteful thing on there it would suit this guitar more and you could sell it as is.

pete

I'm still liking the idea of an all white Iceman with the Ibanez-ish 3-3 headstock. It's hard to envision the white guitat with gold hardware (which always looks really classy), but with a hint of black here & there as well as some white pearl on the pups, p/g, and inlays. I keep thinking about black binding as well.

I was thinking last night as I went to bed about a maple Tele body dyed blue. I have some rosewood I re-sawd into a 3/8" bookmatched top. I have some other rosewood that a neck could be made from. It'd be pretty heavy, so the body would have to be chambered. The rosewood & the gold hardware would be pretty sharp.

Maybe not blue maple... If I can get the covers off, the caps in the pups could be made to match the fretboard. But what to make the body from then? I don't want ash - I already have 3 ash guitars, I don't need or want a 4th. But it'd need to be something light in color - contrasting to the dark rosewood. Maple? White Limba? Alder? Maybe a trip to the lumber yard is in order.

I'd split the parts up. The blue and gold really isn't cutting it at all.

Both are too 'jangly' put together.

I'd use black pkp rings w/ the blue pkps, blue against black looks great and is eyecatching.

Also, regular black, not pearloid black.

You need to understand contrast and colors and what works against what.

Ask your wife/g-friend, (most) women have a superb sense of color combinations, and can explain the basics to you.

Your really just shooting in the dark if you don't understand color matching and contrasting...there are rules, and they work.

If possible, I would not put an angle on that bridge either.

Some bridges look good angled, and some don't.

I think that bridge would look 1000% better just set straight, or with very very little angle.

If you measure right and set your high E saddle all the way up, you should be able to place it spot-on accurate and not have to angle it nearly at all, if at all, and still have room to properly intonate.

Accuracy counts, and I think would look much nicer that way, IMO. :D

The blue pickups will look really nice under the right conditions, and really gaudy and crappy under the wrong ones, not much middle ground there I think.

I personally think that those screaming blue pickups are asking for another screaming blue thing... perhaps blue LED fretboard inlays/position markers?

All inlayed into a blue fretboard!

There's nothing stopping you from doing exactly that. :D

The top is a clear Maple (factory Levinson guitar I own) to show contrast for the ones in the middle that I did.

The one on the bottom was finished by Warmoth, but the two in the middle I shot, tinted, and cleared over myself (lac).

I've shot the back of a Maple neck / Ebony board blue as well, just don't have pics of it.

But you certainly can spray a Maple neck any color you want.

1055.jpg