Carbon Fiber Neck Rods

Hey Guys and Gals

I'm in the process of building my second Guitar. Its going to be a PRS 7 String style. My question is do I need to put 2 carbon fiber neck rods in the neck along with the Truss rod for more support? or is it over kill?

I will be using a Light top heavy bottom set of strings.

And if I do need them do the have to be Carbon fiber and do you know where I can get them besides Stu MAc?

Thanks

If you have good wood you don't *need* graphite/carbon fiber reinforcement. And don't assume quartersawn is better than flatsawn for necks. Check out Frank Fords (I think is was Frank, can't find it on his site right now...) testing of strength for quartersawn vs flatsawn wood. Flatsawn was something like 50% stronger

Anyway, despite what I wrote above I almost always use reinforcement in my necks. Better safe than sorry.

testing of strength for quartersawn vs flatsawn wood. Flatsawn was something like 50% stronger

I would not believe everything you read. Wood is wood,I have never seen an article in a reputable magazine which picks a specific cut to be any stronger than another (from the same tree). Its shrinkage and movement thats the key to why quartersawn is better.

As far adding rods forget it is not necessary on a 7 string guitar. If it was a bass sure than consider it, as it is a longer neck and the forces acting upon it are much greater.

Its shrinkage and movement thats the key to why quartersawn is better.

What Spoke said - and to follow up, the main advantage of CF bars is neck stability over time. CF does not move like wood does in response to heat and humidity, so in 20 years your neck will likely be in better shape if it has CF bars. They are no more difficult to install than a truss rod.