Pretender Scrapocaster

She's back.

Owner wanted to get a burst on it. Front & back. But I figured that a burst on the back would look odd with the striping & the bursts would be miss matched then. So I proposed a bookmatched walnut back to match the front. & while we were at it, there was some extensive chambering carried out.

DSCF2293.jpgDSCF2292.jpg

You can kinda see the chambering thru the control cavity in the above piks.

DSCF2298.jpgDSCF2297.jpg

Bookmatched walnut back.

Do they come back for mods very often? That must feel kind of odd- to cut into one that's already gone to a new home.

SR

sometimes it just has to be done, either through owner swaps or customers wanting tweaks.

i have one back for a neck recarve at the moment because the owner has realised his neck preference is a lot more specific than it was when we specced the build and he reckons he will play to more with a slightly different shape. obviously if he wanted it thicker he would be **** out of luck, but since it can be made a bit thinner relatively easy its not a problem

i would rather someone came back and asked me to change half the guitar than them just put the guitar away in a cupboard and never play it

Do they come back for mods very often? That must feel kind of odd- to cut into one that's already gone to a new home.

SR

sometimes it just has to be done, either through owner swaps or customers wanting tweaks.

i have one back for a neck recarve at the moment because the owner has realised his neck preference is a lot more specific than it was when we specced the build and he reckons he will play to more with a slightly different shape. obviously if he wanted it thicker he would be **** out of luck, but since it can be made a bit thinner relatively easy its not a problem

i would rather someone came back and asked me to change half the guitar than them just put the guitar away in a cupboard and never play it

Exactly. kinda goes with the job.

This is not the most extensive tweaking i have done. One Les paul copy went out fairly plain, ended up a few years later that it had 3 hum buckers, a fernandez, a wilkenson floyd, partially chambered, bookmatched flamed/carved back & a new fretboard with no inlays. Im just waiting for the call from him to convert the bridge to something with piezos in it :D

Sometimes its a bit weird, but you just have to go with it.

• 5 weeks later...

OK. So I did it again. Forget to get good piks before I sent it out with the customer. I just remembered as we were packing it up, too late. But I did get few just beore I tested it out after reassembling it. not great but here they are.

DSCF2400copy.jpgDSCF2397copy.jpgDSCF2404copy.jpgDSCF2395copy.jpg

He will be back in a few weeks for another guitar (wants a Black Lotus) So I can get a hold of this for some decent piks then :D

Personally I think it should have been left alone..... not knocking the work..... just preferred the original appearance.

thats not to say that I wouldn't have it as it is....

Can't argue with that either. When it comes to customers, there's no accounting for taste. It happens to me in the printing business all the time. Sometimes I have troulbe getting my guys to print something really fugly that a customer has designed. I tell them: boys, there's no accounting for taste.

Sometimes you got to print some ugly sh!t.

This is not ugly Paulie, in fact it is very nicely done. But your original design suited my tastes better too.

SR

I kinda agree with both of you on the looks, but then I kinda dont :D I like both versions.

I liked it before the dye job, but the owner realy digs my SRV. So he wanted this to look similar - but just not beat to hell & back. But its his guitar so he gets what he wants.

Cant argue with him, he was bang on with the chambering & letting it get a little microphonic. Sounds great :D