Using Ethernet Cable For Wiring Inside A Guitar?

Nalo1022

I was wondering if using an Ethernet cable is adequate for use inside a guitar. On a LP project I'm working on I need to run 7 wires from a rotary switch in the upper bout to the control cavity. I have some Ethernet cable lying around and wondered if it would be ok. There are 8 wires in the cable in 4 twisted pairs. I don't se a reason why I couldn't use it but I thought I would ask here to see if anyone could offer up a response.

Wire is wire, so it should work as long as there aren't any breaks in any of the conductors. People use old telephone wire, too.

OK I have to disagree 100%.. Yes wire is wire but the outer insulation on the wire is not high temp heat resistant. That means it will melt way back from the solder point and make it look like Poo. the worse you are at soldering the worse it will look

Thats why we all spend the few extra dollars and buy PVC hookup wire and not Cat3,5,6 or any other manufactured cable that is meant to be crimped.

Even if the cat cable is Fire rated most likey is only rated for the outer jacket and not the wire insulation.

hmm good point. I am pretty good with my soldering iron, so I think T'll do some test runs on some junk components and see how it works out. I think the I rember the CAT5 being fire from when I purchased it to run a network through the walls at my mum's house.

OK I have to disagree 100%.. Yes wire is wire but the outer insulation on the wire is not high temp heat resistant. That means it will melt way back from the solder point and make it look like Poo. the worse you are at soldering the worse it will look

there are situations where ethernet cable must be soldered, you use heatshrink on the melt back if needed...

I wouldn't use it in a guitar, particularly on a long run as it's unscreened and soli core.

if you are competent in soldering and have good equipment then you will be fine. if not then stay away from it.

Just go to radio shack and pick up a roll of hookup wire rather than play with the other stuff. cat 5 is a bit on the small side for hookup. If you need a cheaper source try all electrocics its less than $5 for a 100' roll. Buy two colors make it look like you know what you are doing.

Use the right wire, you dont find guitars wired in cat 5 cable even if its free...

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store...0-Rolls-/1.html

would you run 7 individual lengths of unscreened hookup wire right across a guitar?

Even the cheapest LP copies i've seen use screened cable to the switch.....

borge do you have any recommendations on what to use? Another consideration I had was to buy some of the cable used to wire pickups and cutting it into 2 lengths giving me 8 wires. These cables come with a bare wire that surrounds the others and acts as shielding. If I ran 2 lengths of this would I ground the bare wire at both ends?

Go to your local electrical wholesaler and get some screened multicore flex of the appropriate gauge, it'll be much cheaper than 'pickup cable' but electrically identical.

I'd get 4core and run two lengths, earthing both at the control cavity and one at the switch if it needs/allows, earthing both at the switch would create an earth loop.

• 4 weeks later...

Wouldn't the fact that it's solid core be somewhat detrimental at the solder points? I mean, I was taught a long time ago that soldering a solid core wire was less than desireable, since it creates a weak point in the wire next to the solder. Hence, any mechanical movement (i.e. vibration) will cause failure of the wire, generally, at this point.

Stranded wire has the capacity to spread the load or stress between the strands.

Just a thought...

Cheers :D

Ok, then I shall refine my idea from CAT5 wire to "any sort of stranded multi-wire cable that has a standardized plug system associated with it" hahaha.

Chris

How about stranded CAT5 cable? Tends to be more reliable when using puch-down connectors.