Fretting With Glue

Soapbarstrat uses CA and all he does is re frets, so I guess he has figured out how not to make a mess.I believe Erlewine also uses CA from what remember. Just saying...

I only use CA if asked. Typically I use fish glue. I dip the ends in the glue & then hammer the fret in place, then quickly wipe it clean with a damp cloth. Holds them in place very well & doesent wreck finishes with mad solvents if you make a mess (which of course I never do :D )

Soapbarstrat uses CA and all he does is re frets, so I guess he has figured out how not to make a mess.I believe Erlewine also uses CA from what remember. Just saying...

ah well that must be it.... i am clearly doing it all wrong :D

or just maybe there actually is more than one viable way to skin a cat.... seriously, do you think i would do it if it didnt work and produce good results!! :D

I always have the neck tilted on it's side when wicking in CA from the end carefully with a pipette. Rag pressed against other end of the slot. and then black electrical tape under each slot end. Not 100% accident proof. The main reason I've been using CA is 'cause it's the only glue I can get in the slot after the fret is all the way seated. And I like to check how well a fret is seated with no glue squeeze out in my way.

ah well that must be it.... i am clearly doing it all wrong B)

or just maybe there actually is more than one viable way to skin a cat.... seriously, do you think i would do it if it didnt work and produce good results!! :D

Clearly I have no idea what your doing nor does it matter to me how you do what you do. I am pointing out that CA is an alternative to wood glue...Plain and simple. So CA is not for you we get it. I have seen great work and repairs using CA glue in the fret slots.. And it produces great results too... :D

you really did miss my point then - because i have only been trying to say how many methods work well and it pays to be able to use different methods to deal with different problems... but i seem to have been dragged into imagined issues with titebond and now it almost seems i am saying it is the only correct way to do it the more i defend it

so jut to recap, as i said near the start

the point is, use what you have to in order to make it work -and if you try all the methods and learn when they work best you have a lot more options when things get difficult

Soap - thats the way i do most of my fresh installs but i dont trust it for refrets on valuable instruments for the reason you say - its not 100% accident proof

Um...titebond is wood glue. It bonds wood to wood, not wood to metal... or anything besides wood to anything...

and the point in using titebond is not too glue the fret down but to swell the wood slightly around the tang and generally fill gaps/firm up the wood around the tang. For that it works quite well, the fact it dosnt actually bond with the metal isnt a problem because its not why you are using it

oooooooooooh. I get it.

I still use CA glue

I think what needed to be said has been said and I will sum up what was discussed.

Both methods work and both have their faults as well and whatever method you decide to use it is another process to have under your belt when tackling the may situations that inevitably come up in a guitar build or repair. Try both and decide for yourself what works for you.. Or use both..

Knowledge is King..