Super Maple Strat

My guitarheads pickups arrived today luckly (day before the course starts) :D

Quality looks way better than on pickups I have usualy used.

Juntunen: So oil finishes get hard and thick enought to be buffed?

Edited by HenryM

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tell me how they sound I'm always looking for cheap pickups that sound good. And how much were they?

They cost 49 dollars for set and five wires so can be. Post payment was 12 dollars to finland so its cheap

Edited by HenryM

tell me how they sound I'm always looking for cheap pickups that sound good. And how much were they?

They cost 49 dollars for set and five wires so can be. Post payment was 12 dollars to finland so its cheap

Glad to hear you got em. I love mine - please tell me if I was wrong , lol. ..... Looking good so far. :D

Now I just need to prep it for finish.

What kind of finish should I do

Nice job so far.

I would personally go for an oil and wax finish but that's my taste.

A clear finish would be good option.

Go for a shellas finish and if you then don't like it clear you can sand the shellac to use as sealer and then apply any other colored finish on top :D

I will be going with clear nitro. I can start aplying finish at tuesday.

I would have gone with a hand rubbed Danish oil you can get a nice finish out of that. I just ut it on a strat

24122_385373445237_204848650237_373.jpg

24122_385373440237_204848650237_373.jpg

It looks really good that strat is walnut and maple, I think it would look good on your guitar but either way a clear coat would be good on it too.

I would have gone with a hand rubbed Danish oil you can get a nice finish out of that. I just ut it on a strat

It looks really good that strat is walnut and maple, I think it would look good on your guitar but either way a clear coat would be good on it too.

I am curious about oils. Is danish oil same thing that is put to gun stocks. And does surface stay as wooden or does it give

thicker finish. Just tell everything :D

I am curious about oils. Is danish oil same thing that is put to gun stocks. And does surface stay as wooden or does it give

thicker finish. Just tell everything :D

I am not sure if it is the same thing as on gun stocks I think it's Linseed oil but I'm not sure. I know a relative of mine uses tung oil for gun stocks and I have used that on guitars too, it looks good but has a thicker finish in the end. The up side is it isn't spontaniously combustible and you don't have to wipe it every coat.

Danish oil is nice but the only thing to consider is it's sponatiously combustible so when you use it have a metal bucket or something to put the stuff in (Like latex gloves which you really want to have so you don't get that stuff on your hands it's hard to get off and you don't want your hand on fire either :D ) But about the finish it doesn't get a very thick feel to it the one in the picture I posted has four coats on and still has the grain feel to it. When you put it on rub on one coat let it dry overnight then every coat after that rub it on and wipe it dry, if you don't wipe it good enough it can take several days to dry then you have to sand it a little bit to get that coat off. The nice thing about it is after you put on all the coats (I use 5-6 coats) you can polish/buff it and it will retain the grain feel and be shiny.

You could use Tru oil or Linseed oil but I have not used either so can't really tell you anything about it.

Personally I prefer oiled finishes they look and feel better to me. I use oil on both the body and neck of they guitar to by the way.