Preamp Picking Up Am Radio Signals

mikevirok

Hey all; it's been a while since I've stopped by this forum. I've been really busy with my repairs business and haven't had much time for recreational luthierie in a while. But I'm back!!!

Here's my dilemma. I recently purchased an Artec VR2 on-board guitar preamp (it's a variable boost that's not over-the-top). Well, before I install it into a custom build that I'm about to begin, I built a small project box to test it out...

When I engage the boost (no guitar hooked up to the cable leading in) and turn the boost up, I begin to hear it pickup AM radio transmissions (think Spinal Tap folks, it's the same issue)... I need to make this stop before I begin the routing job for its installation. If I can't make it act only as a boost and not pickup the radio frequencies, then I can't use it for this project.

Now I currently suspect the cause for this is a lack of shielding from outside frequencies. It's mounted in an old Seymour Duncan pickup box for testing purposes only. So, could a good copper-foil shield keep out the frequencies?

Virok

Any grounded shielding will work. Just make sure that it is shielded on all sides and connected to signal ground and you won't have a problem.

Any grounded shielding will work. Just make sure that it is shielded on all sides and connected to signal ground and you won't have a problem.

I figured as much. Thanks buddy!

idk what will help, i have had a few things pickup radio. 1 amp (when the gain is all the way up luckly i tend to not turn the gain all the way up) a wah pedal and a OD pedal. IDk what it is its all ways the same station ( a conservitive talk radio station.)

You can usually get rid of RFI by adding a 47pF-100pF cap to ground on the input of the offending circuit.

I'm most likely going to do both: shield the cavity/unit and use the cap. We'll see what occurs.

Shielding it will probably do the trick, but there are instances of guitar effects which are shielded picking up radio stations, so I guess also adding that cap would be a good back up measure against it.

Let us know what your results are!