8 String Build

• 1 month later...

A bit of an update, carved the body using my trusty angle grinder, spokeshave and scrapers:

2010-07-10%2015.46.27.jpg

Then I forgot to take pictures :D

So skip forward a couple of weeks and the first one is nearly finished:

IMG_2190.jpg

IMG_2192.jpg

Just need to finish the nut off and get her setup properly. The Qld Maple came up nice and shimmery under the wipe on poly, I'm quite pleased with the result.

The other two are still sitting back at the same stage as the last pictures except I have rough carved the Rosewood neck. Hopefully I can get the setup done this weekend and have her out to her knew owner, then I can get on with my two. :D

Do you guys have any tips for setting up an 8? I'll get it eventually but if there is anything obvious I would appreciate the knowledge. Thanks.

Not any more dude ;-)

Hey, this was pretty much my same plan for building 7-string and 8-string guitar on a small "run". Simplified common neck joints which are interchangeable, common templates for all the build stages, thick bass Hipshot bridges or recessed TOMs for a common neck angle....would have been fun! I really like the subtle carve - reminds me somewhat of the Jackson models for Christian Olde Wolbers? I do like straight down the line instruments which do their jobs well, rather than "jack of all trades/master of none" guitars ;-)

It was probably posted, but what pickups are you using? I've been debating over which pickups to "actually" use in my recent 7-string build, and am pretty much settled on a Super Distortion-7/'59-7 or JB-7/'59-7 combination. Not convinced about the anecdotal information I hear about the ToneZone-7...anyway...

Build on!

Thanks mate. Yeah I really tried to make this easy to replicate and also with no odd features (weird neck angles etc.) so that it can suit a wide range of hardware.

The pickup on this one is a result of the customers budget. It is the 8 string pickup from Rondo. The cool thing is that it is a "standard" size so he can drop in something like a bare knuckle at a later date.

Pickups were easily the hardest decision with these builds as the range is still a bit short for 8's. Sure you can go custom but you need the money to do that. :D

The second one will also be a Rondo pickup. It is a surprisingly good pickup, more than good enough for bashing around in my room which is all the action it will ever see.

The third one will be an active set. I haven't decided whether it will an EMG set or a Blackout set yet. Anyone have any advice either way?

I would err on the side of "try them out" I guess. Opinion is (as always) divided on aspects of EMGs or Blackouts, but having not tried Blackouts I can't say. I do think EMGs sound better with the 18v mod as opposed to the normal 9v supply though, plus it's nice to have the extremely low noise floor when playing with high gain. The only downside I can think of with EMGs is that they don't do the "standard" pickup shape, so it's more of a destructive routing mod installing EMGs unless you use a pickguard! Blackouts offer both shapes IIRC.

None of the videos I have seen on YouTube are honestly subjective, plus the sound is poor from mostly bad recordings.

For example - check out some of the video "reviews" of EMGs, Blackouts, etc. and then compare them to say, a "non-review" video by somebody who isn't trying to pimp words such this:

I think you'll find a better view of pickups for lower tunings and longer scales on sevenstring.org for example, although the "djent" term is bandied around far too much ;-)

• 1 month later...

A few weeks later and we have some progress on number two.

I am going with a smaller neck heel on this one, here I have just finished routing it.

IMG_2193.jpg

This one has a rosewood neck compared to the first one which was maple. This shows the mini volute I am doing on these ones:

IMG_2194.jpg

And this is where it stands as of today. Lots more sanding to do and carve finishing:

IMG_2200.jpg

• 2 months later...

I finished the second one up about a month or so ago now, I swear I updated this... or maybe not.

Anyway here she is, sorry about the horrible lighting, I had to rush the shots because she was being picked up that night:

IMG_2205.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

This one ended up with the same customer as the first, the two different neck materials gave them a different enough sound that he had to have this one as well :D

The third one is now well under way. I decided on the SD Blackouts for this one, progress pics soon.

Got the bulk of the carve work done this weekend. Also drilled all the holes and did the electronics cavities.

_MG_2194.jpg

This one will differ from the past two by having a neck pickup, selector switch, two volume and two tone and full chrome hardware.

I will also be going for a more complicated finish on this one, I haven't quite ironed out the details yet though.

• 1 month later...

Well I finished up the third and final one of these a few days ago.

_MG_2372.jpg

_MG_2383.jpg

_MG_2387.jpg

_MG_2388.jpg

This one is the same Qld Maple as the other two. It has a Mahogany neck though with a Rosewood faceplate.

Thanks for all the help that was offered in this thread, made the process a bit easier :D

Now to think of my next project. :D