First Build Blog...

I've been working on this off and on since January. Thought I should finally post it here and get some feedback. I am pleased so far...no major mishaps, but lots of things to do differently next time! If you hate it, please tell me why. Thanks.

http://whalehazard.blogspot.com/

EDIT: Here's what it looks like now! The blog's been updated as well with progress pictures.

34019_555314558415_40400531_32631968_4888153_n.jpg

Edited by whalehazard

I've been working on this off and on since January. Thought I should finally post it here and get some feedback. I am pleased so far...no major mishaps, but lots of things to do differently next time! If you hate it, please tell me why. Thanks.

http://whalehazard.blogspot.com/

I can't tell you why, coz I def don't hate it, it's looking great :D. And you remembered the oval output jack holder, rub it in why don't ya? :D

Thanks for the feedback...the body is 1 3/4" which as far as I can tell is pretty standard for most Fenders, correct? I think once I finish the body contours and transfer them to the back, it'll help with that. I was given several glued up 1 3/4" blanks as a gift, and I still don't have a good way to thickness lumber. A router thickness jig is in the works. I think it will be a little on the heavy side, being northern ash instead of swamp ash, but that doesn't bother me a lot.

Thanks for the feedback...the body is 1 3/4" which as far as I can tell is pretty standard for most Fenders, correct? I think once I finish the body contours and transfer them to the back, it'll help with that. I was given several glued up 1 3/4" blanks as a gift, and I still don't have a good way to thickness lumber. A router thickness jig is in the works. I think it will be a little on the heavy side, being northern ash instead of swamp ash, but that doesn't bother me a lot.

Have a drill press?

• 1 month later...

I really dig the body shape, although I have my doubts about playing it whilst sitting.

I also think that the color works well with the body.

I would, however, have gone with a slightly wider neck! :D

Cheers

Buter

Thanks, Buter

I had those doubts as well, but I assembled it all and played it and I forgot that I even thought it was going to be uncomfortable. I was more concerned about weight, but it balances really well. The final blue is a little darker and more uniform than that. I was gonna try a burst, but I didn't want to buy more than one color of dye.

• 4 months later...

This build is done! It spent a couple months in the basement being punished for a bad finish job. Sanded it down and started over. Here's a video sample of my band Nightosaur about 2 hours after I got it set up. Pictures soon to come. I started over with KTM-9 and am pleased with the results. 6 coats of blue and 7 coats of clear. Not the best sound quality, but you can hear the guitar plenty well in the mix.