First Build "the Humrat"

I was gonna wait to post til I actually started constructing the guitar, but i figured i needed to do something to fill up the time until i can start. This may move a little slow, I do have a 60 hour per week job, so tuesday thru saturday will be very limited. I am also still collecting more tools as i go along too.

I am gonna try to get this done quick(really hurts the checkbook though) :D , but i have been bitten by the bug and the show must go on :D

For this first build i am following the plans that came with M. Oakham's book(build your own electric guitar). It will be a strat type w/ 2 humbuckers, solid poplar body, all maple neck and 24 fret maple fingerboard, all black hardware with hardtail bridge(plans use tremolo), 1 vol. and 2 tone controls & 3-way toggle, paint will probably be a powder blue metallic and nitro clear(keep changing my mind on this though).

Please feel free to let me know if i am screwing any process up or if something may not work.

The plans:

IMG_1017.jpg

What i did was tape(scotch tape) several pieces of tracing paper together and traced the plans, then cut them out with an exacto knife, I also found it very helpful to put the scotch tape around all the lines before cutting, it made the tracing paper very stable.

IMG_1011.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

The i glued the cutouts to some 3/16" hardboard(with the shiny top) with an elmer's repositionable glue stick(worked great) for my master templates

IMG_1016.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

Now I have them all ready to cut out. I would do it with the jigsaw but i am supposed to be buying a used Delta 14" bandsaw for $200 tomorrow, so i figure i would wait til then so, i can play with it

IMG_1019.jpg

Very tidy! Looks like you're off to a good start.

For your finish, I would seriously consider something other than traditional lacquer, because that stuff is SO GROSS. Either that or invest in a good respirator or something similar for when you're spraying it.

(Maybe I'm just a wimp about wood finishing, but I think I'll stick to oil finishes, French Polishing, and water-based finishes now that I've done a guitar with acrylic lacquer and had experience with it. That was awful.)

Very tidy! Looks like you're off to a good start.

For your finish, I would seriously consider something other than traditional lacquer, because that stuff is SO GROSS. Either that or invest in a good respirator or something similar for when you're spraying it.

(Maybe I'm just a wimp about wood finishing, but I think I'll stick to oil finishes, French Polishing, and water-based finishes now that I've done a guitar with acrylic lacquer and had experience with it. That was awful.)

Thanks.

No worries about inhaling the lacquer, i have to spray it outside and have a respirator. I use to spray alot of lacquer and enamels when i did taxidermy so i am familiar with their nastiness, Also, i have no spraying equipment as of yet, so i have to use aerosols

Got the bandsaw today, this thing was only ever used 1 time

IMG_1022.jpg

My cousin also gave me a sears craftsman 4 1/8" jointer today too. Needed a small repair done on it, but i got it working good, now just need new blades for it. Can't complain about free!

IMG_1020.jpg

Unfortunately i don't have enough time to cut my templates out tonight, but it will give me something to do next weekend

Other than routers - you have a very similar level of equipment to what I have. Your bandsaw is better than mine (and doesn't have broken guides) and I would kill for that amount of space though! Do you have a dust extractor?

My shop vac for now,lol. I was thinking of getting a small air cleaner for now too. Next year i am hoping to have a seperate small bldg outback(shed type) for a workshop. That way i can spray and do everything in there.

I am also still in the process of rearranging my basement, its sort of a mess right now

Edited by Hedley

Other than routers - you have a very similar level of equipment to what I have. Your bandsaw is better than mine (and doesn't have broken guides) and I would kill for that amount of space though! Do you have a dust extractor?

The router i have right now isn't that great, but i'm hoping it works ok. I've never used it before, it was given to me as well.

I spent money on my extractor purely to remove more fine particulates...a lot of extractors take it in and blow it straight back out, diffusing it rather efficiently around the workshop! When we build our new woodshop, we're making sure it's externally located, well ducted to the equipment and adding a scrubber to remove more ambient dust. That and Nina wants a pig, but that's a different matter. I've decided to use the next year productively, planning a better and safer woodshop because I'm sure that I've been half killed by Wenge, Macassar and MDF so far. Not the most auspicious start to the rest of my life making things from wood I'm sure X'D

A good build to cut your teeth on - you'll pick up a lot from the journey (such as glue on your clothes and favourite shoes amongst other things). All good!

• 2 weeks later...
I spent money on my extractor purely to remove more fine particulates...a lot of extractors take it in and blow it straight back out, diffusing it rather efficiently around the workshop! When we build our new woodshop, we're making sure it's externally located, well ducted to the equipment and adding a scrubber to remove more ambient dust. That and Nina wants a pig, but that's a different matter. I've decided to use the next year productively, planning a better and safer woodshop because I'm sure that I've been half killed by Wenge, Macassar and MDF so far. Not the most auspicious start to the rest of my life making things from wood I'm sure X'D

A good build to cut your teeth on - you'll pick up a lot from the journey (such as glue on your clothes and favourite shoes amongst other things). All good!

<hijack>

Prostheta -- I now have to buy one... cause of you and your Wenge!

</hijack>

Hedley nice score on the bandsaw. It is better than mine (Central Machines saved from the dumpster) you should have many years of good service from it. Get the ultimate bandsaw guide from amazon as it has about 10 pages of "I didn't know that".

As for the router... funny enough I use my very cheap Craftsman router more than the other three I own. It is light and has good visibility for doing pickup routes and such. Sharp bits and good technique are more important. Funny enough the big Porter cable never comes out of the router table.

Look forward to following the build

Cheers!

Resto- I will check out that guide. I seen a router/table(fixed base router) combo i may get at home depot for $99, the other router i have is a plunge router, i think it came from harbor freight maybe. I thought about making the vice end of my new workbench into a router table but I really wanted to use bench dogs on that end.

Dean- Thanks Man! :D

I am really hoping this turns out well, if it does my next 2 guitars will be awesome! 1 will be a carved top :D

Anyways, glad you guys are enjoying it so far.

Resto- I will check out that guide. I seen a router/table(fixed base router) combo i may get at home depot for $99, the other router i have is a plunge router, i think it came from harbor freight maybe. I thought about making the vice end of my new workbench into a router table but I really wanted to use bench dogs on that end.

You will use that vise at the end of your table more than a router table...

You will use that vise at the end of your table more than a router table...

My thoughts as well

I could still use the vise if i installed the router, but would eliminate the option for bench dogs. i think i am just going to do my routing freehand for now and save some money, if it doesn't work out well then i'll go get the table

So i finally got some poplar for the body. I will be putting it together for my blank next weekend, couild've gotten it done this weekend but with it being memorial day I didnt have much of a chance to work on anything.

I was thinking of using oak for my neck and going with an oil finish, but then i will have to rethink my headstock decal ideas. So i have some questions:

1. What method could i use to put on my headstock decal with an oil finish?

2. I was originally gonna use an all maple neck fretboard. If i go with the oak, should i go maple fretboard with the oak neck or just all oak. Def not gonna use rosewood for the fretboard

3. should i just grainfill the oak and proceed with lacquer?