Pictures of the next bass

Ok here are the pics of the finished bass. I've just finished polishing the frets.

I'm sorry the pics are so grainy. its my rotten cameras fault.

Well here goes tell me what you think...

I'd like to know what you don't like about it too. Because I'm already picking out wood for the next one.

The lightwave pickups sound incredible. The long scale lets me set the action low and still not rattle the low B.

It plays like it was made for me. :D

I'll have to record something on it after I get the strings back on.

My band is opening up for a metal music festival next weekend and I'll get a chance to hear it through a good P.A. B)

I know its taken a long time but I think its been worth it.

I looked at all of the other in progress guitars for insperation when I felt like I'd never finish it.

ok more pics. :D

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

done4.jpg

done5.jpg

done6.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your help, and support along the way.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly gorgeous. The woods are nice, the design is original, and the optical pickup is way cool. How much work did it take to convince them to sell you just one pickup?!!

Keep it up; I can't wait for the next one.

PS It doesn't look like a metal festival type bass, but hey, whatever floats your boat, right?

How much work did it take to convince them to sell you just one pickup?!!

Those guys at lightwave are great. I didn't have any problems at all. I'm thinking about getting the midi daughterboard for the next one.

jivin: What about the design didn't you like? I'm not offended at all. I really want to know so I can keep it in mind on the next one. I've had some people say it looks too much like a les paul bass.

Have you played that bass yet? How do you like the lightwaves? I read up a ton and pretty mcu decided I didn't want them for my project because they don't sound like what I'm used to hearing. Most of the articles were pretty old though, so the system may have improved.

And as far as $400.00 is concerned, sounds like a good deal when you consider buying a nice bridge, pair of nice pickups and a decent preamp for the same or more anyway. None of them looks as nice as the lightwave IMO.

Nice job on your bass Mr Basey!

Good to hear basey, cause I didnt mean any offense, just isnt my cup of tea thats all B)

In a nutshell, I just think it lacks symmetry and looks a bit wonky. The way the top half of the body is so chunky and runs so far along the fretboard and then the bottom half is so much shorter and the lower horn is like a little limp sausage hanging out from the bottom :D

In my opinion, simply rounding off the bit that juts out at the back and making the lower horn a bit more significant woudl go a long way in giving it some of the balance i think a good guitar needs.

Also, IMO the bit that juts out at the back seems too high up... as in it just adds to the lack of balance by being away from the center like that.

Still, despite all that, its just the way I look at it, and im probably part of the minority :D

Congrats again, the quality of it looks superb!

- Dan

I've got some test mp3's for those of you who want to hear the lightwaves.

The playing is sloppy. its late... and I aint no jaco.. :D

these samples were recorded with the bass pod pro's DI out staight into the line in on the sound card, with no tweaking whatsoever.

Here's the flat tone flat

increasing just the piezo piezo

increasing just the mids and sweeping the frequency mids

increasing just the bass bass

switching the magnetic emulation switch from full to jazz mag emu

Heres a sample of the bass playing a couple different styles sample

I think it has a really clean even response.

Hey basey,

If you wouldn't mind, could you take that bass out on a live show and post what it sounds like with the band and house sound and all? Thanks dude!

Seriously though, that was very cool of you to put up all those recordings, I really appreciate that. I may have to reconsider which direction I'm going to head yet again. I somewhat agree with some of the negatives I had heard about the lightwave sound, but it's not as harsh as I had expected. The piezo does highlight the finger noise quite a lot though as I had read, and is more like what I was expecting to hear.

I'm with Jivin on the styling. I don't care for the attached horn look, but that's the latest thing and is very popular among high end basses. Yours definately appears to be high end too, wonderful construction and finish on her. I hope to do mine nearly as well as that.

I like it a lot....I really like the single cutaway design...I also like that little part that juts out and how it lines up with the pickups more than the centerline

About all I'd say to improve it could be to add a bit more colour :-)