Aluminum Tube As Straightedge

I'm looking for a good straight(ish) edge that I can use to route a straight line using a template router bit.

Would something like this:

https://www.speedymetals.com/pc-4666-8364-1...2-aluminum.aspx

which is not advertised as or designed as a straightedge be good enough? or do I need a precision straightedge?

How precise do you need?

If I need to route a straight cut I cut 3/4" MDF to the length I need on the table saw. Straight edge* ready to use.

*Depending on how well your table saw is set up, you can use the cut edge as is. If it needs a little touch up. hit it with a hand plan.

Why MDF? Easy to mill, fairly inexpensive and very static (doesnt measurably shrink or expand). Cons - the dust is absolutely evil. Use a mask or dust collection when working with it. I make a majority of my templates and fixtures out of MDF.

I would never use the .002" tolerance or better over 2 feet type stuff for something like that (don't think it would keep the precision edge to that degree). Something more like a .005" tolerance.

Cheapest(I mean, it better be free) I know of is laminate flooring scrap (put a want-ad on craigslist). Yeah, a weird "stepped edge" with each edge being less than 1/8" thick but my precision grounds show it's a pretty precise edge. If you could just get the bit's bearing to stay on that narrow edge for one pass, you could make a fatter edged guide onto another piece.

http://www.draftingsteals.com/catalog-draf...raightedge.html

The tolerances on these are probably better than the aluminum from the hardware store. In my experience with aluminum from hardware is that store the accuracy varies extremely to the point I don't use them as router guides.