Nylon String Chambered Body

I'm a long time lurker here, first time poster.

Here is my last project!

The posts are copied from another forum where I also posted this

Enjoy!

Let's start from the start: the idea is to have a nylon stringed guitar that I can play at stage volume with my band.

Got a body on ebay:

004.jpg

It's a harmony Bobcat body from 1964.

I really could have done the body myself from a plank of wood, but I thought it was just more fun to use an old and cool piece and work around it.

You can see here the front and back maple veneers. The body is poplar

006.jpg

Here is the neck I bought, thinking I'd use it on the project. It's the last time you'll see it, because I decided to build the neck myself to really have it the way I wanted.

002.jpg

Stripping the body

020.jpg

Body stripped, you can see the green poplar

021.jpg

After a lot of routing, here are the rough chambers in the body, they will be fine tuned later on.

028.jpg

And here is a little mod I had to do on my pickup system

023.jpg

It's a DTAR Wavelength dual source, which is a undersaddle transducer with a microphone and a 18v preamp. The mod was just to cut that pc board and replace it with shielded wires, because I wouldn't use a round soundhole like it was meant to be installed on.

Then I started to think more clearly about the soundhole design I wanted.

Here are the options that made it to the final selection:

036.jpg

037.jpg

038.jpg

And here is a plank of african mahogany that will be made into a top

039.jpg

This is my first headstock design, based on Artinger's

044.jpg

I decided to tune the shape a little bit to make it more subtle and neat.

048.jpg

Ok, neck construction post.

It was my first neck, and I enjoyed the whole process.

Cutting the scarf:

049.jpg

Cleaning up the scarf joint (handplane, sanding blocks):

051.jpg

You see that I'm off my line right now, worked it a little bit more and then clamped it:

053.jpg

054.jpg

First mock-up:

055.jpg

Routing out the truss rod slot (double action from LMI):

056.jpg

057.jpg

There ya go:

058.jpg

Planing out the fretboard taper:

059.jpg

Edited by Johny

Back to the top and soundhole thing:

No pictures of this, but I jointed the two halves, then glued them together, then cut the outline with a bandsaw at my uncle's shop.

Back to my dad's garage:

Traced the outline of the hole, I cut it with a coping saw:

060.jpg

Still rough

062.jpg

A plastic card behind sandpaper gives me some resilience to shape the curves, along with some files and razor blades.

063.jpg

Done:

065.jpg

Glued on the top:

067.jpg

Than shaped the neck pocket and neck heel:

069.jpg

The obligatory "hold the guitar by the neck to show tight fit" picture:

071.jpg

Here I glued on the ebony fretboard on the very rough mahogany neck, and I also rounded over the edges of the top with the router and some sanding afterwards:

073.jpg

And with some frets on:

074.jpg

Specs so far: 650mm scale length (standard for classical), 22 frets, 20 inch radius and gold fretwire from LMI. (I really love these guys, they are aweseome people to do business with)

Forgot to tell about the headstock shaping thing, I'll post better picture later on, it was still rough at this point.

Bought a spokeshave, tuned it and sharpened the blade, then began carving the neck (a lot of fun, to say the least)

077.jpg

The neck:

078.jpg

What didn't make it as a neck:

080.jpg

Shaped the volute and heel with a chisel:

082.jpg

083.jpg

084.jpg

And you see it in proportion with the body.

087.jpg

Fine tuned the headstock with small files and sandpaper:

088.jpg

089.jpg

With the world cup to keep me entertained (with those obnoxious vuvuzelas)

090.jpg

Then the sanding process began.

Gold MOP markers:

096.jpg

Less rough neck:

093.jpg

095.jpg

Filled the pores of the top with epoxy:

099.jpg

Sqee-gee and a plastic card to spread it around

100.jpg

098.jpg

Your eyes should be misty from the emotion at this point. Mine were. :love:

While the epoxy is curing, I decided to work a little bit on the tusq saddle I had.

Wanted it to have a slight backward angle in the slot, I 've read that it would help to even out the response from the piezo. So played around with CA glue and files and sandpaper, until I was happy:

101.jpg

102.jpg

104.jpg

Back to the neck: started oiling it (danish oil) and made sure the tuners were aligned:

108.jpg

Here is the only major "!"?$*!&$" moment:

110.jpg

I was beginning the application of the golden shellac on the body, which had had 3 coats of epoxy pore filling so far. Well I sanded back to wood in some places, the shellac penetrated the wood there and made it contrast. :eek:

Taking a deep breath, I decided to sand everything back so that the epoxy would be "just" in the pores of the wood.

111.jpg

112.jpg

Sanded it all off, then tested on some scraps with just the golden shellac on.

Victory!

113.jpg

So I began the application of shellac (mixed with denatured alcohol and applied with a brush) on the top.

Edited by Johny

Masked the top and began working on the back and sides.

114.jpg

I Wanted to have a black semi-satin finish on the back and sides, so I mixed some black pigment (actually ashes from vine tree) with the shellac mix and then went at it.

115.jpg

You see the coats are not opaque by themselves, but the accumulation of them gives off a nice and warm black finish.

117.jpg

116.jpg

After a few coats, I wet sand the thing with olive oil as a lubricant to bring back a flat surface, then clean everything and put on some more coats

126.jpg

3 coats of oil on the neck, in the meantime:

123.jpg

Unmasked the top

129.jpg

Then the job of applying finish continues, as I need to get rid of the ridge the black has made around the tape.

Basically: apply shellac with a brush, the next day sand everything with 400grit and olive oil, then 000 steel wool, clean everything, apply some more, etc.

132.jpg

You also see in these pics the Traynor all tube guitar holder I have.

We're getting there

134.jpg

133.jpg

Finishing is done, you'll see better pics at the end.

Masking around where the bridge will be:

136.jpg

Then scraped the finish down to bare wood:

139.jpg

And glued on the bridge (which I reshaped a bit and stained black to make it look like ebony)

140.jpg

Shaped the nut:

143.jpg

Some of you might really not like what you're about to see, but it worked out pretty well for me on my last projects.

The nut slotting monster:

145.jpg

Which is a big ass knife with 220 sandpaper on the back of the blade

And at this point I stringed the thing up, did the setup, had to put a shim in the neck pocket, removed a bit of saddle material, adjusted the intonation just a hair.

One of the many guitars I want to build one day, is a chambered or solid nylon string, because I used to play classical guitar back in college. I hope one day I get the chance to. Your headstock design is absolutely perfect and fitting. I will have no compulsion in using it and giving you credit for it. :D

The rest of the guitar looks fantastic as well.

Hey! Thanks, and feel free to use my design! It'd be an honor to inspire others, having myself been inspired so much around here.

:D

153.jpg

151.jpg

159.jpg

158.jpg

169.jpg

175.jpg (Yeah, I'll put on some new screws with real bushings in the near future)

161.jpg

164.jpg

167.jpg

I love it! Plays really good and sounds impressive. Needs a little bit of tweaking still to get a really even response from all the strings on the piezo.

If you have any questions, please go ahead!

No questions really, just wanted to say :

I wanted the third soundhole pictured and read with baited breath - relieved to see you went with it. The more I read , the more I liked the build.

4 words....

Guitar. Of. The. Month. ( IMO )

THAT is the epitome of a "project guitar" . Congrats.

My only little nit-pick is the angle that the strings wrap around the tuning pegs on that *beautiful* headstock. ( which is nothing but a personal, desperate attempt to find SOMETHING to improve upon , lol )

I <3 this guitar! funny neck screws and all !

my question is how do you fine tune the chambers..............

I just removed some more material around the bridge area and deepened the cavities a bit more.

I wanted the "top" to "vibrate" and move some air as much as it could.

Hey and thanks for the comments everyone. I might just try GOTM...

This is an awesome guitar. I have been wanting to do a nylon string guitar for a while, but was not able to get past the startup cost of doing an acoustic classical. This project has added one more build onto my list. My wife will be cursing your name in no time. :D