A Few Months Of Builds

Hey guys, i've been lurking on here plenty but haven't posted anything for a while. This place is always a source of inspiration. Anyways i'll just post up some finished pics and if anyone is interested in any progress shots on particular builds i'll post em up.

BODY: QLD maple back, lightly flamed rock maple top (5mm). Heavily chambered. white binding on top.

NECK: Bolt on scarf jointed, Indian rosewood/Rock maple/Indian Rosewood neck 34" scale, 20 SS jumbo frets, Quartersawn rock maple board, white plastic binding 38mm nut/61mm 20th fret.

ELECTRONICS: Passive setup SD quarter Pounder P/J pickups (chome ring for the J-bridge pickup not pictured, it came late). Blend control, Tone control, kill switch

HARDWARE: Leo Quann Badass II bridge, Grover tuners

FINISH: black nitro on the body and headstock, clear nitro on the fretboard, Tru-oiled back of headstock/neck.

02.jpg

(pardon the reflection)

04.jpg

This one is in progress at the moment-

#28 mammoth dc

Body: Swamp Ash new offset LP doublecut type thing.

Neck: Set neck, 3 piece figured QLD maple with Indian Rosewood pinstripes.

Fretboard: Wenge 26 3/16th scale (banjo length) 22 jumbo SS frets

Hardware: String through Tune-o-matic, Grover mid-sized rotomatics

Pickups: cream Seymour Duncan P90 Vintage neck/Hot p90 bridge

INLAYS: Woolly mammoth molar inlay

Finish: Nitro gloss, black grainfilled body with a trans blue finish on body, natural gloss on neck.

Here is the woolly mammoth tooth i bought for the job, its got some kind of protective coating in this pic. I sacrificed one bandsaw blade to slice it and broke about 35 inlay saw blades cutting it, 40,000 year old enamel doesn't like to be cut apparently.

mammoth.jpg

joel03.jpg

thanks for the kind words guys.

boundsteelblues- I really didn't need to use graduated sperzals, they were just what i had lying around, i've never seen 6 in line sperzals that weren't graduated actually. The headstock angle is around 14o i think. i don't really work it to a number, just go with what works right, could have been less angled but even with that ridiculous vibrolo trem it holds tune beautifully.

muzz- sorry i don't have any shots of the bunya from before hand, i have another body blank or two sitting around, can get a couple photos in the morning. Its easy to work with, closed grain, nice and light weight, snappy tone, i love it for single coils and p90s.

scottr- QLD maple is maple being from Queensland, Australia. A beautiful Australian mahogany alternative.

Got the neck joint glued up on the mammoth dc today, will get first coats of lacquer tomorrow. can't wait to see it in trans blue.

That makes sense. I was thinking quilted....and not seeing it. And I thought the one back left natural and identified as QLD had a definite mahogany-ishness about it. I don't get many opportunities to see woods from OZ and was pretty sure that whatever I was thinking I was seeing was wrong. Thanks for sharing!

SR

Beautiful builds !! So clean and professional, congratulations.

I absolutely love that #27 bass !! I want one (and I don't even play bass) !!

My other favorite is the reverse FB, #26.

Out of curiosity, is Queensland maple as heavy as the usual mahoganies ??

One last question about the serial and signature on the headstocks' backs: looks handwritten but it is engraved, how do you do it ?? Not free hand, right ??

Thanks for sharing !!

cheers blackdog, your builds are incredibly clean so i appreciate that comment from you!

The Queensland maple i've got my hands on is generally a very similar weight to most decent Mahogany i've used.

The serial and signature on the head stocks is drawn on by hand then cut out freehand with a dremel/router base. I use those stew mac carbide bits for inlays but use the cheaper inlay bits for the sig/serial on the back because they generally give a pretty even burn which looks nice on the maple in my opinion, good contrast.

Thanks again.

thought i'd post up a couple other shots of the bass, its my favorite build to date, and i'm more of a guitarist than bass but it really had me by the end of it. I got some hassle on another forum about covering up the flamed maple top but meh, black with white binding on this sort of a shape is pretty impossible to go past.

I'd like to make an aesthetically inverted version of that bass too. maybe for myself if i ever catch up on orders. Off white/cream body, black binding all round with maybe a maple neck, rosewood or ebony board. would be hot i think.

johnhollow.jpg

john6.jpg

thought i'd post up a couple other shots of the bass, its my favorite build to date, and i'm more of a guitarist than bass but it really had me by the end of it. I got some hassle on another forum about covering up the flamed maple top but meh, black with white binding on this sort of a shape is pretty impossible to go past.

john6.jpg

How dare you cover that maple with black paint !!!! :D

(Sorry, just joking !!! :D )

But the truth is that I would love to make me some kind of goldtop, but all I ever buy are figured tops and I can't bring myself to paint anything like that with solid colors... Kudos to you for the resolution and the nerve !!