Adding Switch Cavity To Already Finished Lp Style Guitar

Hi,

I'm thinking about adding a switch to the upper horn of a Les Paul style guitar. Problem is that the guitar already has finish on it, so I'm not sure how to create the switch cavity on the back.

1. Can I use a router + template to go through the finish or is that a bad idea?

2. Alternatively, could I use a forstner bit? I've never used one before so I worry about how accurate it would be.

Any other ideas appreciated. Thanks!

I will preface this as I usualy do by saying that most people here know more than I do so if somone tells you differnt you may want to listen to them.

This sounds like a bad idea. While you may be able to carefully route a cavity for the switch you still have to get the wires to the cavity. Most LP style guitars have a back which is rounted fot the wiring and then a top glued on afterwards. Depending on how much room there is you may be able to pull some wires back from the original control cavity through to the neck pickup route. If you had a long drill bit you may be able to make a connecting hole between the new rout and the pup cavity. You would have to tripple check that you were not going to come out the top or miss the route.

If you managed all of that you still would have the problem of any damage made to the finish around the route. If back is a solid color you may be able to match it but if it has a transparent color your chances are about nill. You also would have to fill the hole left by the old switch and attempt a finish match there as well.

I think your best bet is to either live with it or sell it and get a guitar with the control configuration you want.

There's several ways to do it.

Show us your guitar. Right now, we can't come up with a solution, as we don't know what kind of finish your guitar has. A painted finish will be easier to work with than a transparent finish in this case... because you know, paint is paint, and clearcoat can be more difficult than most women.

We also don't know exactly where you want the switch. Do you want it on the top of the guitar where a standard LP has it, or on the side near the strap pins?

Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I want it in the traditional LP spot and the back is solid black. Having said that, I'd rather avoid a situation where I need to do any touch up work to the finish, so if I can't do it without being reasonably sure that it will look professional then I won't bother.

My plan was to drill through the neck pickup cavity and then bring the switch wire through to the normal cavity. I would be very careful to ensure I wouldn't drill too far.

To avoid damage to the back finish, I was thinking I could very carefully scribe around the cavity template with a sharp blade. That should help avoid most chips in the finish...

Still a bad idea? :D

Edited by darkshadow54321

if you get one of those rings that goes around the switch that says "trebel/lead" or whatever on it, that'll cover up most of the damage. If you use a drill press to make the initial hole, and a good sharp bit, that'll help too... however, I don't understand how you're going to get the switch to fit in the hole without a control cavity in the back of the guitar...

if you get one of those rings that goes around the switch that says "trebel/lead" or whatever on it, that'll cover up most of the damage. If you use a drill press to make the initial hole, and a good sharp bit, that'll help too... however, I don't understand how you're going to get the switch to fit in the hole without a control cavity in the back of the guitar...

No, I do plan to make a control cavity at the back using one of the methods outlined in my original post. The hole for the switch on the front will be drilled in the normal manner.